I'm a little overwhelmed by life right now to do much updating here. I am finishing up the last of my three years as a PTA President and beginning a new calling in the Stake Young Women's presidency. These two won't overlap for long, but my life will remain pretty crazy until the end of the school year. What has been a huge surprise to me is that having served for two years of as what I thought was the most ineffectual leader the kids' school had ever seen, my third year finds me strangely confident in my abilities. ("Strange" only because it is completely unlike me to have any faith in myself) And while I am humbled and overwhelmed at the thought of my church calling, I also think I am very capable of doing it. I've never considered myself as leadership material, and if you've met me in person, you wouldn't either. I didn't aspire to be PTA President and was told long ago never to expect to lead the youth. I could easily name about ten people who are likely more qualified than me to fill any of the positions I've held at this point, but I have to say now that I don't feel undeserving of them either. While it seems unrelated, we finished listening to Harry Potter Book 7 yesterday amid many tears (mostly mine) and thunderous applause (mostly Natalie and Tristan's). I don't know how I missed this before, but I found this particular gem of Albus Dumbledore's to be quite inspiring and quite applicable when I heard it. So, I leave it with you all in lieu of a post of my own:
"It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who, like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well." ~J.K. Rowling, "King's Cross," Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, 2007, spoken by the character Albus Dumbledore
(I searched all over the Internet for this before finally finding it here.)
5 comments:
I have no idea how you do it, but it's inspiring!
When does the school year end back there? Ours finishes up sometime in mid-June, which will BTW, be here before you know it.
jennifer-I don't know how it do it either. Right now, I just tell myself one of the jobs will be over soon. We end on the 25th of May, so it really will be here soon. Thank goodness.
Melessa, a beautiful quote and a timely sentiment. Good luck with both posts. You've got an awful lot to offer. Lucky the PTA and the youth for getting to tap into it.
Congrats! Don't go getting a big head now that you're in demand!! LOL!! Have fun and enjoy every minute of it!
Thank you Sandy!
And Jen, you know I always do my best to screw these things up...uh, I mean keep things real. No worries about the swelled head.
Post a Comment