Monday, July 18, 2005

In Summary

I'm so glad I finally got the trip report finished so that I can move on with my regularly scheduled blogging. But first, some final thoughts on the trip:

First, spending time at Aunt P's is probably better as the concluding part of the trip because it is so relaxing. Also, as much as I hate a small carry-on bag with back-up toiletries and an outfit, I need to start packing one again. (I gave it up when security was tightened at airports because I dreaded the idea of that type of bag being searched in front of everyone at the checkpoint). Oh, and it's amazing how many cheap clothes and toiletries you can buy at Wal-Mart if you shop the clearance racks.

Disney hotels are worth the money for their atmosphere and convenience as long as you know where to stay. I loved Port Orleans. You pay a little more, but you save on parking if you want to drive to the parks. ($8 per day unless you are staying on property) I also recommend the use of a car over the bus service. We did busses only on our last trip and spent a lot more time waiting around than we did with the rental car this time. Because we were on property, we didn't use a lot of gas going from park to park either. Fortunately, Disney has accommodations to suit all price ranges. I haven't yet tried the campground (Ft. Wilderness) or any of the All-Star (budget) resorts, but I'm sure I will in the future.

To see parades and shows, get there early and, if you know in advance you are staying for the afternoon or evening parades, keep a beach towel in your bag to use as a seat. Not only does it keep you off the ground, it gives your family's seating area some definition to ward off the encroachers that practically sit on your lap. Other tote bag necessities are band-aids, baby wipes, some type of little snack, fold-up rain ponchos and if there's room-bottled water. Sunglasses and ball caps are nice to have too. (and you want to get most of that at places like Wal-Mart or Dollar Store before you go, not when you are on Disney property). The nice thing about going with no stroller is obviously that you don't have to drive it through the crowds, the drawback is there is no big basket to pile your stuff in as you tire of carrying it.

The edge of Main Street is the best place to view both parades. If the parade starts in Frontierland, you can actually show up after it starts and still see it from there. (afternoon parade strategy) If it starts on Main Street, you want to get there 30-45 minutes early, but then you are part of that first group out of the park. (obviously, a good exit strategy) Parade waits are always better with a snack and a drink whether you buy one or bring one yourself. I'm told the afternoon parade at Animal Kingdom begins and ends in Africa, and that you can get a good spot there to see it end after it has passed through there the first time, but I haven't tried it yet for myself. Fantasmic is definitely not to be missed, and you probably do need to get there 45-60 minutes early. Make it a picnic dinner and you won't mind so much. Also, one Gameboy does help keep three girls happy during long waits, but three Gameboys probably would have been better. (I told MeMe and PaPa what I thought they should give Queenie and Lady Capulet for Christmas-hee hee!)

I would definitely allow at least five, and preferably, six days to see the four parks. That leaves time for lots of rest breaks and other non-Disney related outings, and you don't leave feeling that you've barely scratched the surface of what you wanted to do. Their new ticket pricing makes that affordable with just two to three dollars price difference between the number of days you stay. The feature I dislike about the new tickets is that now you pay extra to go from park-to-park on the same day. I bought that option this trip because that's how I preferred to visit the parks on previous trips. We did use that option two or three times on the trip, but next time I think I will skip it and save myself $30.

Finally, I have learned that no matter how many neat shampoos and home remedies there are for head lice, nothing works better than a bright light and a fine-toothed comb. Unfortunately. My nieces are now sporting much shorter 'do's, but Natalie and Caroline preferred the comb-out torture. Lucky me. That was one childhood rite of passage I could have done without this summer.

So now I'm caught up and to catch you all up, as I've written these reports I have applied for a job at a museum in OKC (I'd be happy just to get an interview), started teaching the six-year olds at church (not my favorite, but not as terrible as I thought it would be), purchased the Harry Potter book at a release party (good story there, maybe I'll blog about it tomorrow) and finished it. Don't worry-no spoilers from this blog!

1 comment:

Christy said...

I've loved reading your travelogues! They are always so interesting. Too bad about the lice, though. Yuck! I had them once when I was in grade school. I got them from a girl in Primary.

Anne should probably know that I used a lot of music, coloring, and an extra hour of tv for Frog so I could finish the book (plus I'm a super-fast reader). I also stayed up an extra 2 hours than normal once the kids went to bed.