Lady Capulet insisted on shampooing again with that nasty lice killer, even though I was worried about its effect on her hair. I combed out as much as I could find the evening before, and we did it again for good measure the following morning. I'm sure the truly responsible thing to do would have been to keep us all in the room until her hair was perfectly nit-free, but this was our last full day in the parks. For those of you familiar with real "nit-picking," you know I would have had to extend the trip by at least a week before her head was truly clear. So, I combed out everything I could, pulled her hair back, gave her a hat and silently asked the other park guests for forgiveness. Then, we went to the Magic Kingdom.
If you miss the park opening at every other park, don't miss it here. It was very well-done and fun for the kids. Even Lady Capulet liked it. Today we were following that Unofficial Tour plan to the letter. That meant our first stop was Dumbo. We were in line less than 10 minutes-another welcome first for a Disney trip. (it's a slow-cycle ride with very limited capacity and the ride line grows very quickly) Then, we hit the Pooh ride, Snow White's Scary Adventure, Mickey's Philarmagic, and It's a Small World in rapid succession. The girls still love Pooh, I'm glad I waited until Natalie was older to start riding Snow White (it would have terrified her when she was little), Mickey's Philarmagic is still the neatest new attraction at the Magic Kingdom, AND you can see down to the bottom of the water in It's a Small World now! The girls were busy looking at the repainted and repaired dancing dolls while we rode while I just couldn't get enough of how clean the water was. This was only the third time I've ever been on that ride that I didn't use it as a chance to discreetly nurse a baby. I wonder what it's like to have a family full of older kids. I guess that's what lies ahead for me.
It sprinkled lightly while we went from ride to ride, but nothing too bad. After a ride on the carousel, it was time for the Haunted Mansion. They seem to have tweaked it a little since the movie came out, but it still isn't too scary. We went to get a fast pass for Splash Mountain and were pleasantly surprised by a short line. Again, it just wasn't wet enough for my nieces, but I was glad to have them instead of Tristan sitting in front of me this trip. (he ducked under the front of his seat and let me get soaked on a previous visit) We grabbed fast passes for the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and went to Pecos Bill's for lunch. I've heard about their amazing burger 'fixin's' bar for a few years now, and I wanted to try it out. It did indeed live up to the hype. There were grilled onions, mushrooms, and any other regular condiment you could want on a burger.
We got there again at the magic hour of 11 a.m., and again we watched the place fill up while we ate. I wish we had grabbed a slice of the chocolate cream pie before we left, but I was feeling both budget and weight conscious and decided to go ride the roller coaster instead. All things considered, Lady Capulet and I had really earned a slice of that pie. Oh well, we would make up for it later.
We got to the ride five minutes before our fast pass time with only a fifteen minute stand-by wait. We decided to ride twice. Once in the regular line and once again with the last passes. Unfortunately, Natalie and I were seated in the very back and all the rattling around on the first ride was enough for her to skip a second one. I sent the older girls alone and handed my fast passes to the first couple I spotted. In another ten minutes, they were done and we were off the The Pirates of the Caribbean. As usual, it wasn't too crowded and it was lots of harmless fun. Before I knew it, we also had the Tiki Room and Aladdin's Magic Carpets finished too. And, of course, it was raining.
Natalie really wanted to see the new show at the castle, Cinderellabration. Since it was a light sprinkle, we waited outside the castle until they cancelled the show five minutes before it was due to start. Natalie was disappointed, but we still had tomorrow to try again. We detoured to the Main Street Bakery and the girls had dirt cups while I tried some cake. It was good stuff. After watching some glass-blowing in the crystal shop, we realized we had seen everything we wanted to that day, and it was still only 2 p.m. We decided to enjoy some small attraction rides in Tomorrowland before leaving. To my great delight, the Carousel of Progress was open. It never has been on a previous trip. It isn't a thrill-a-minute ride, but it is quintessential Disney. Next, we took a ride around Tomorrowland on the TTA (Disney's idea of what future transportation would be like) and finished up when we found a surprisingly short line for Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. This ride goes slowly through a glow-in-the dark display of Emporer Zurg's headquarters while you shoot at little targets. Your score is posted in the ride vehicle and each one accomodates two shooters. I usually let whatever baby is on my lap do the shooting, so I was excited to try it for myself this trip. Lady Capulet is a better shot than me, but I didn't have the lowest score possible either. The girls had been a bit reluctant to stay and visit Tomorrowland, but were glad we did after Buzz. I decided to leave on a good note. We still had lots of packing and, unfortunately, nit-picking to do before bed that night. At least Lady Capulet was in a better mood after a magical day. I didn't want her to remember this trip only as "the head lice trip." I don't think she does.
No comments:
Post a Comment