Saturday, February 18, 2006

Whirlwind Trip!

I've only had this blog for about two years and yet my archives already include two Disney trips-you might say I'm a little addicted. However, I had planned on taking a bit of a break for the next couple of years. With the exception of a new roller coaster at Animal Kingdom and the ever-elusive breakfast at Cinderella's Castle, I've pretty much covered everything I want to do there. I was planning another trip when the kids were older. My mom, however, is spending two weeks at her time share there this summer and really wants the company of some of her adorable grandchildren. Since my sister has four kids too, I suggested them. Esepcially since we will be in Tennessee for most of her Orlando timeshare slot. She pointed out that Dave's grandparents are only a day's drive from Florida, and suggested we detour on our trip home. I mentioned this to my sister on the phone this morning, I was actually mocking the plan when suddenly my sister gets all into too and says maybe we should celebrate her youngest daughter's birthday there-and maybe even with a Cinderella Breakfast. Well, now that you can make reservations for that place 6 mos. in advance instead of three, I kind of jokingly told her that if she could get a table for 12 at Cinderella's breakfast on June 3rd, I would go. I have to explain that exactly 90 days before three of the five Disney trips I've ever taken, I've awakened at 5:30 a.m. and spent at least 30 minutes trying to get these coveted reservations to no avail. Ten minutes after we hung up, my sister called with the news that she pulled it off and we were eating breakfast with Cinderella on June 3rd! I guess we're going to Disney World, folks...

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Ok, that is just awesome. :)

We're planning our first trip with the kids for next year - January I think. I'll be picking your brain.

Melessa Gregg said...

Sandy-Pick away, but my best ideas come from www.disboards.com. Once you visit there, you won't think I'm nearly as Disney-smart as you do now. I'm excited for you-it's so much fun. (I'm such an overgrown kid, it's not funny.)

Anonymous said...

I want to go... I haven't been to DW since I lived in Tampa a long time ago. I would love to see all the new attractions they have added since I was last there in 1993. The other place I would love to go see is Disneyland. I have never been to CA, and I really want to go to the California Adventure park. Maybe one of these years before I die... I know I'm a huge kid at heart, so I never tire of theme parks. I'm lucky that we have two here in SA - Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. SFFT is not the greatest, but they have a wonderful water park. As for Six Flags parks, my favorite is Six Flags Over Texas. I don't get there too often, but they have the best roller coasters!

Melessa Gregg said...

Arbee-Dave's aunt lives near Tampa (St. Pete Beach), so we go far more than we really should. Both my June 2005 and December 2004 archives have the details of our last two trips. This one is going to be quite brief, provided we can even get a space at the Ft. Wilderness campground which is booked so far, but they told us if we keep calling back we should get a slot. I would love to take a "girlfriend" type trip to either Disney park someday. I realize it's for kids, but I think it would be nice to go with friends and not worry about hungry kids, tired little legs, diapers, or a grumpy husband. The closest I came was when I took just Natalie and my older nieces last summer and that was, by far, the most fun I ever had visiting WDW.
I would so love to be your tour guide to all the new stuff in the parks. After 5 trips in 8 years (I know, I know...there's better ways to spend our money), I've become somewhat of an "expert" though I credit online research and the Unofficial Guide tour plans for my success. It's been years since I went to SFOT (in fact, it was two weeks before I entered the MTC), but I love that too. When we went to SA, the kids were too little for much, so we stuck with Sea World and skipped the rides and water park. I hope to get back there too someday.