Sunday, June 11, 2006

One Last Digression

I know I am in the middle of a trip report, but I'm going to have to digress one more time for a special edition 'Week In Review.' No I haven't read anything new, seen any shows (not even the season finale of Big Love-gasp!), nor have I got anything new from Netflix to review. However, yesterday Dave and I returned home from conference with just enough time to iron three little outfits, toss four little kids in the car, and head north to Tulsa to see The Lion King. As tired as I was from the vacation/conference combo, as much as the kids fought in the car, as unpredictable as Tristan's behavior is on any good day, AND as freakin' HOT as my grandparents' house was once we got there; I seriously questioned my sanity for spending as much as I had on tickets to a show that there was no way the three kids accompanying me were going to let me enjoy. I just prayed their antics wouldn't annoy Chris, Lanie, Vickie, et al when we met up with them at the theatre. I should have known that free parking space we found so close by was a good omen.

The show, in and of itself, was amazing. I highly recommend it to anyone. The effect it had on my kids, and Tristan in particular, brought tears to my eyes several times throughout the performance. It was that good. From the opening notes until the curtain fell at the end, Tristan was mesmerized (so were the girls, but we knew that would happen). He cheered and applauded in all the right places. Several times, his eyes got big and he would say "thank you for bringing me, Mommy." Or "this is the best thing I ever saw!" Natalie already shares my love for Broadway, and if last night was any indication, so does Caroline. But to be able to share something so special to me with my son was a really wonderful thing for both of us. I don't say this often about the things I do with my children, but this was worth every penny I spent-and that was a fair number of pennies.

There was so much about the show that was good, I'll just hit on the highlights: First of all, Lanie scored us some awesome seats! As the administrator of our season ticket operation she always comes through for us; but this time she really outdid herself! Never have I had such good seats at the Tulsa PAC-thank you! (And again, congrats on the new house!) As the show opens, some of the characters are already on stage, but then they are joined by others. Some of these come through the doors at the back of the theatre, others are already stationed somewhere in the audience. Last night we happened to be seated just below one that popped up in the Mezzanine and started singing. Tristan was entranced from that moment on (and it was tear-up moment number one of about 100 for me). Just as he recovered from that surprise, he looked to his right to find an elephant making its way to the stage to the delight of his sisters who spotted it before I did. A young pair of male and female actors (Young Nala and Simba, of course) take up a large amount of time on the stage for the first act, and I thought they both were incredible-both as far as their talent and their stage presence. I read in their bios that they are 11 and 12-Wow! While most of the animals take on a more traditionally African appearance for the play, they left Timon and Pumbaa cartoon-like, to my great relief.

The costumes were worthy of every bit of hype that they get and the cast was all top-notch. It's different from your standard musical in so many ways, and yet just as engaging. (Toni, I know musicals aren't your thing; but I think you would really like this-it's that good!) Of course, it didn't hurt that the adult Simba was so wonderfully yummy to look at either. (Yes Dave, I know, he's probably gay-though I think you just say that because you are jealous! He's still good to look at-that's all I'm sayin') I just hope when they look back on this in a few years, my kids will realize that they really saw something special. But even if they don't remember, I will. And that will be enough.

Thanks again to Lanie not only for orchestrating the evening so well, but also for holding Caroline through all of Act 2. I hope you and Chris realize my kids halfway come to the occasional show not so much to see it as to hang out with their beloved favorite aunties. Sometimes it's really nice to know there are other people out there who love your kids almost as much as you do. Anyway, sorry to turn this post into a bunch of small emails instead of one big musical review. So, in summary, The Lion King is worth every bit of what my husband jokingly calls 'overpriced Disney hype' and was loved not only by my kids, but by all the adults too. It really is worth all the attention it gets and it made a perfect ending to this summer's Disney vacation.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hunky Simba probably is gay, and isn't it better that way? I hope I'm not the only one who feels slightly less guilty when I overtly ogle some actor who is gay, and therefore not even a possibility? I like to think it's less like cheating than salivating over a straight man.

Okay, so I know there's no difference. I'm just weird.

Melessa Gregg said...

I feel less guilty when I ogle the "most-likely gay" men too. I just feel bad stereo-typing since your Actor Brother has done his fair share of plays and is most certainly not gay. I just laugh that Dave brings this up as if I were going to run backstage as soon as the play was over and fling myself at hunky Simba, when really, I just like to look.

Lanie said...

Melessa, you are more than welcome... I get the bonus of spending time with a few of my oldest friends AND seeing great shows. This one is in my top 5 shows I've seen (and I've seen a lot) and probably up there as No 1 or 2. It was just that good!!

Caroline was so cute... she dazzled Dirk too. He was telling his sister about her last night. The poor girl was so tired of trying to hold her seat down. She's just so tiny!!

Adult Simba and a few of those hyenas were so nice to look at... they may be gay... who cares? Very few straight men have six packs... instead of the kegs all of our beloveds seem to think is so damn sexy.

I am happy that you and your crew are home safe and sound!!

Anonymous said...

I offered to hold Caroline if Lanie got tired but she wouldn't let go. LOL. It was a GREAT show! I talked to Sean yesterday and he asked how it was. I told him he really missed out!

I don't give a hoot if they are gay or not. I'm not trying to take them home, just like looking at them!