Friday, September 08, 2006

Friday Free-For-All

-I am sick. of. paint. But I still have big plans for the living room on the next holiday weekend.

-I decided on Wednesday that I preferred weeding to painting.

-Today, I got to weed all the gravel paths that run along the 9.5 acres of The Agency.

-I still prefer the weeding to the painting.

-Fooling your kids into eating edamame by showing them how fun it is to pop the beans out of the pod only works the first time you serve it.

-At least one of my kids still loves it.

-This house sure is a mess for the small amount of time any of us spend in it lately.

-Leave it to my buddy John to text me a pic of a Latin inscription so obscure that even I can't read it. John, I think we'll go with "Christ is a Pomeranian" until I can get to the OU library. (Or actually, to text Chris the pic and have her forward it.)

-Leave it to me to be obsessed with translating that inscription when I have about 100 other things to do.

-I'm working a volunteer event for The Agency tomorrow. In period costume. Apparently, I have no dignity left and I'll do anything to get in my 450 hours.

-The Agency director just found another OU program for museum employees.

-I am desperate to enroll.

-It means more schooling after I finish the MLS.

-I am a glutton for punishment. (But I would be non-profit certified which would make me even more likely to get a good job somewhere.)

-If we could confuse people into thinking they were buying t-shirts instead of joining PTA, every parent in school would be a member.

-Even so, we have doubled our membership since back-to-school night.

-It's good to be the teachers' "darling" at Open House when you are being approached by someone you were rude to at Back to School night.

-Once she saw how the teachers loved me, she actually stood there sucking up to me. So that's what it's like to be the popular girl at school.

-I think I'd rather just not talk to people who don't like me and vice versa. But it was fun, just once, to experience that.

-Both our daughters are Girl Scouts, so future encounters are inevitable and I won't have the teachers to protect me then.

-I'll live.

-When sending pictures to your kids' school for Grandparents' Day, don't send the only pic you have of your deceased, but still beloved, MIL holding your first-born taken just hours before she would have an ultimately fatal stroke

-Because, as tough as you think you are, you WILL cry in front of all those teachers who love you so much, and they will notice, and you will be embarrassed.

-And then your son will say "I never met her, but I love her picture."

-And then you will really cry.

-But you will be glad that your son and your other two younger kids know that she lived at all.

-And that's the bottom line on Grandparents' Day.

-We still love you Mama Gregg.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'd rather paint. I'm messy but it's more satisfying to me to see the walls change.

I'll pass on the temporary translation to Johnboy.

Mama Gregg is missed, she was always great to me.

Melessa Gregg said...

I felt that way a couple of weeks ago. But now that I've painted a bathroom inside the office and both primed and painted the restroom facilities on the grounds, I'm not feeling the painting love that I did when I started.

Oh well, we have school groups coming starting next week and I'm sure I will be begging for a paintbrush once those become a daily event.

Anonymous said...

I remember the days when we would have LOVED working an event in period costumes. That was back before we knew how hot and itchy period costumes can be. I hope you stay cool and non-itchy tomorrow -- and please take a picture. Please please PLEASE?

thatgirl said...

I had a lot of fun serving edamame to Wilder until I saw the god-help-me diaper.

:)

Yay for the cool girl in school!

Melessa Gregg said...

Sandra-I can't remember if Isa's diapers were bad or not. She wouldn't eat any this time. But, Caroline still loves it.

Anne-I promise I will get a picture, but I looked so bulky with my street clothes on underneath this time that I skipped the pic. We have our first school group coming on Wed., so maybe I'll snap one then.