Monday, December 18, 2006

Bah! Humbug!

No menu plan today! That would require me to be full of loving and nurturing feelings and right now I'm more of an angry Mama Bear. Because it's been resolved, I can now go into more detail about my 'unbloggable situation.' Apparently, when the Big Fundraising Company picked up the kids' fundraiser orders, about 6 were forgotten. Because this was a pre-paid fundraiser, parents were understandably frustrated by this. Because Big Fundraising Company did not leave me either the white or yellow carbon copy pages for any of the orders placed; I had no way of proving one way or another that any of these missing orders were ever made-even though I recognized a couple of the surnames from when I organized the orders, deposited the checks, and left them for Big Fundraising Company to pick-up six weeks earlier. They said that we lost the order forms and were liable, although none of us ever left the school premises with them because we were worried about doing just that. However, with no copies of anything, I had no way of defending myself or proving anything one way or the other.

I've been just about as frustrated as any one person who likes to make everything right can be. There was no easy way to "fix" this. To make matters worse, one of the parents involved became downright ugly with all of us, even though all we told her from day 1 was that we were going to sort this out. She came into the school office so many times with her threats that she was told security would be called if she did it again. She got my home phone number and left abusive and threatening messages for me. She did likewise to the people at Big Fundraising Company. None of this made sorting this situation out any easier. The other five moms couldn't have been more lovely and understanding even though they all had reasons to be mad. I wound up giving most of them my super-secret cell phone number-so it's not that I refuse to communicate with parents, but I won't return a message that's threatening and the principal told my husband that he shouldn't either. (And he REALLY wanted to.) However, I have spent just about every morning and afternoon that I'm not working at The Agency trying to resolve this problem. Ultimately, we decided to ask the parents to gather what information they could about their orders (cancelled checks, people who remembered what they bought, etc...) and that we would reimburse them. Our PTA is broke most of the time and this was a huge hit to our already ultra-modest income, but it was also the right thing to do. The checks have been written and I will be in the school office handing them personally to everyone involved in this mess tomorrow morning and afternoon. Either me or the principal has kept everyone informed of what we were doing about this every step of the way. Not an easy thing to do when your child has a concert one night, a Girl Scout awards ceremony the next, and you have taken off two days to work the school Santa store by yourself until your spouse can help in the afternoon.

I am horrified that something like this happened on my watch, especially when I originally delegated the money and order collection duties to someone else. (Who is, if anything, twice as competent and organized as I am.) I have done everything I can to make this right. For the last three years, I have dedicated myself to this PTA and I've been part of just a handful of us to do so. I'm not perfect, but I'm also not power hungry. When my kids enrolled this year, I knew there wouldn't even BE a PTA if I didn't kick things into high gear and I think me, my co-president, and the other four of us who seem to do everything have done a fine job-this fundraiser catastrophe notwithstanding. So, you can imagine how I felt to come out of the school this afternoon to find my husband and the custodian chatting about a "note" someone had left me in spray paint at the bicycle racks. It read: F*CK THIS SCHOOL AND THE PTA. Mr. W cleaned it up, but I almost wish he had let me take a picture first. I feel violated, I feel threatened, and I feel like everything I have poured into this school for the last three years has been for nothing right now. They don't pay me enough to do this job. In fact, they don't pay me at all. I'll probably remember why I do it after a good night's sleep, but for now I'm just not happy.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh ick. I really can come up with nothing more fitting for a reply. Just ick. I'm sorry. Who can blame you for the bah or the humbug?

Christina said...

That's brilliant. I'm so proud to be from Norman! Way to throw off the dumb hick image people! Good role model for your elementary school kids! I guess they aren't worried about their kids though. They are to busy being asses to teach them to read and stuff.

Anonymous said...

{{{Melessa}}} You know I'm one of a seriously under-funded, 3-person PTO here and so I know a bit about what you're up against, and I'm so, so sorry this has happened! You surely shouldn't be punished for three years of dedication and hard work, babe. Please let me know if there's anything I can do. I'll e-mail my # if you'd like to talk. Love you!!!

Christy said...

I'm so sorry! I'd like to work on a revenge plan for you but:
1. You wouldn't use it.
2. Dave could probably come up with something much better.
3. You'll turn this negative energy from that lady into good and not evil (like I would be very tempted to do).

Anonymous said...

YUCK! I'm so sorry to hear about the PTA mess. :P I know how much it stinks to work your heart out and then just turn around and get slapped in the face... Anyway, just know that all your friends in blogland love you and appreciate you! :)

Tiffany said...

You have stuck through much more than I ever would have. You deserve a medal (but then you might have to organize another fundraiser, call around to price them and pick it up yourself). I think you need to publicize Big Fundraising Company's name, so other PTAs will avoid them :-).

Melessa Gregg said...

sandy-ick just about sums it up. I'm better today.

Christina-If the 'doer' is who I think, she's not only a parent, but a custodial grandparent too. Impressive.

Toni-I need to charge my cell, but then you will likely hear from me.

Christy-You're probably right, but sometimes revenge seems like a very fun option.

arbee-thanks-you are loved too.

Tiffany-I'll email you Big Fundraiser's name, though we have thought of a few ways to circumvent this from happening again if we do use them next year.

Anonymous said...

ok..I dunno what happend...but yesterday I had a nice supportive comment here...
and
*poof*
today it's not here.
K.. so short version.
-Spraypaint Mom needs to grow up.
-You're doing great.
-Take to chocolate bars and you'll feel better in the morning.
-Merry Christmas.
Hugs

alisonwonderland said...

as a long-time PTA mom who has many times said "i'm not getting paid enough to have to put up with this!", i send you my sympathy and lots of cyber-hugs! just remember that we do it for the kids!

-atomik kitten said...

Doh. I so hate fundraisers that the school sends home (no offense).

I'd be bahing right now too, oh wait...I alerady am. We'll just have to bah together...like sheep. And stuff.

I did PTA when we lived in Arkansas - I got smart and quit...I did keep volunteering in the classroom, though.

Anyway, BAH HUMBUGS all around.

Melessa Gregg said...

Lammy Ann-Thanks, and how did you know about the chocolate I ate that night? ;>)

alison-It IS for the kids, and because of them I won't quit. Even though I really want to right now.

Little Woman-I think we all officially hate those fundraisers now. We are currently discussing something different to do next Fall. Our PTA funds all class field trips for all grades so we have to get the $$ in the bank for those somehow.

Anonymous said...

When my sons were in Junior High, we had what was called a No Hassle Fundraiser. No sales, no gimmicks, no door-to-door collections. Everybody gave what the could, really.
The amount of money in the account came out about the same as other years when the stress levels were high and the junk was distributed.

Myself, I rebelled and simply asked what it would take to send my kid on the Field Trip. I then donated that amount, plus half a fee towards the next kid to go.
A few other parents did the same thing.
I couldn't believe how much more calm I felt, knowing I didn't have to bother co-workers and relatives, and that we parents earned money straight out.

h2o girl said...

Melessa, again, I'm so sorry this happened. Fwiw, our PTA sent out a parents survey last spring, asking about various things including fundraising suggestions. The majority of parents voted to not have a big traditional fundraiser of kids selling stuff but instead just a Direct Appeal. They made approximately the same amount of money. They printed up a little leaflet where you can give them addresses of relatives they can also hit up, which works well.

Melessa Gregg said...

Thanks to everyone for being so supportive and for the helpful suggestions. All of this has me in some kind of funk...so thanks for listening. I hope I shake it off soon.