
Well, I've decided that rather than subject you all to another 5-day trip report, I'm just going to hit the highlights of our recent adventure in a Thursday 13 format. I know, I know, you're all going to be deprived of a description of every mile from here to Tucson and back; but you're just going to have to live with it.
(I know it's becoming protocol to do your "13th Thirteen" by listing the #1 from each of your first 13 lists-but I'd rather talk about my trip.)
So, here are my 13 favorite things about our trip:
1. Finding out how wonderfully mature my oldest daughter and son can be when they know I'm counting on them. They helped me get us packed and out of Albuquerque before the snow storm hit (and we beat a bad one). They were wonderful at keeping themselves entertained, helping with the smaller girls, and only rarely asking "are we there yet?" (Though the question was more often "Is this the desert?") Of course, they regressed the minute Dave stepped across the threshold of Anne's house on Saturday night, but at least I know they've got it in them.
2. Knowing that I can take such a long road trip without Dave-I am woman, see me drive by myself with four kids. Yay me!
3. Getting to see Anne's house and my Aunt Kathy's house for the first time. (Anne, I posted tons of pictures recently on Flickr, and you are so going with me to Kathy's house on the next trip.)
4. Watching all of Anne's nieces and nephews I met on the October trip get to play with my kids while sitting around watching it with Anne, her siblings, and the spouses and reminiscing about all the things we used to do as kids. It was especially nice seeing Tristan have so many boys his own age to play with-it's usually Natalie that has all the cousins her age.
5. Driving a vehicle into the mountains that was actually made to handle such a drive. (And the XM Radio was fun too, even if it was mostly tuned to Radio Disney.) I think the coolest moment happened about 40 miles from the Arizona border. As I drove there was sleet falling on the windshield. I wasn't afraid of it because it was too warm to freeze, and it was beautiful even as it smacked into my windshield. As it fell, the sun came out from behind a cloud which, for a few minutes, seemed like the most beautiful part of a snow storm suddenly bathed in almost heavenly light. It was probably as close to heaven as you get on this side of the veil.
6. Enjoying the company of Anne's husband-something that never happened with that first one. Also, enjoying the company of the awesome women her brothers married. Late-night "tea time" where we sat around drinking herbal tea and eating leftover stocking candy was a particularly fun activity. (Though the movie was fun too-I don't get to see anything outside the dollar theatre too often these days.)
7. Seeing how great my Aunt Kathy and Uncle Bob were with my kids. They never had any of their own, and they always seemed a bit awkward around me and my sisters. It's a whole different story with them now. And wonderful to watch.
8. Just soaking up all that Arizona sunshine-it was cloudy the first day we were there, but it warmed right up on Saturday and Sunday. (And boy are the kids ever missing it right now.)
9. It goes without saying that being in the place I was baptized on the actual baptism anniversary was a wonderful bonus. Since I didn't even live there at the time I was baptized, it's not a place I ever counted on visiting again.
10. Shopping at Trader Joe's-Oh how I miss it!
11. Knowing exactly where I was once we got to Phoenix and getting to show off my superior navigational skills to my Dad and husband who had no clue where they were. (Again, yay me!)
12. Getting to go to a football game WITH Dave (we usually take turns going while the other one stays with the kids) at an INDOOR stadium with real chairs instead of a bench with numbers. AND a stadium that sold churros, no less. (And standing up while looking WAY down at the field with two Diet Cokes in my system after a week of not consuming any caffeine was a pretty exhilirating experience too-though not one I plan to repeat.) Win or lose, that was an awesome game. Oh yeah.
13. Finally, (for Anne) giggling with her oldest brother's wife about how Natalie kept trying to sit by her son and how he kept blushing and scooting away from her. As we walked out the door, she shouted "Well fine, N-just don't say 'bye' to me then." Oh good grief! Anne, you were right. I guess Degrassi not the only thing with a "next generation."
Since we've been home, I've heard nothing but rave reviews from my kids about mommy's "other home" and they are asking incessantly for Anne and her husband Lobo. I wasn't sure until about two days before I left on this crazy road trip if I should even go (I would have given our tickets to my aunt and uncle who were mentioned in the list) and now I'm SO glad I did. And aren't you glad you didn't have to read about it for five days!
See more Thursday 13's here.
11 comments:
Sounds like a good time was had by all. I am very happy for you. I cant wait for trips like that
Thanks Amy! I can't wait to read about those trips you take.
Great list! It sounds like you had a great trip. :)
Happy T13. :)
Wow, driving all the way with 4 kids by yourself? I stand in awe of your womanly fortitude.
caylynn-I did have a good trip! Thanks for visiting.
julie-I didn't think I could do it, until I did. The older kids really helped. (And if you could see how they're acting right now, you would never believe that.)
Aunt Kathy's house is fantastic, as are her views! I can see why she lives there. I'm glad she enjoyed the kids. I didn't realize the mannequins were part of the decor -- I had imagined a basement full of mannequins wearing random old clothes. Very interesting. It's funny that there are no "real" people in any of the interior house pictures -- it's like a magazine spread or department store window dressing.
I didn't realize we had a stadium that nice in Arizona -- I guess it's the only way people can stand to watch football in the desert in August and September. Real seats?! Luxury.
I'm laughing about Natalie and Nick -- I thought it would be a couple more years before that happened, but I was right about everything else!
Anne-You'll just have to see that house next time I visit. The thing that amazes me most is that they pretty much designed everything down to the landscaping themselves.
The mannequins work there too. Of course, after working at The Agency, I don't even bat an eye at such things anymore.
Your Egghead brother knows some neat info about that stadium, even if he isn't interested in any sports that go on inside it. And yes, it was nice. You should have seen my face when I walked up from the parking lot with my seat cushion, jacket, gloves, and blanket only to find we would be watching the game indoors!
And yes, you were right about the Natalie/Nick thing. And I'm sticking with my "oh good grief!"
I didn't do TT this week. I am starting to miss my XM. Since KEBC took off Dave Ramsey (yes I know I can listen to him online) and Dr. Laura (I would need the radio thingie to plug my XM into) I've been going stir crazy at work. I listen to some Greg Laurie on yahoo podcasts and do lots of reading.
If Dr. Laura is no longer on the radio, my dad is on the verge of asking Dave and I how to get him set up with XM radio. Unfortunately, he forced me to listen to so much talk radio as a child, that I just can't get into it nowl
#8 - which i could really use right now - and #10 - which i think i've mentioned to you before - were the items that first caught my eye!
regarding #2 - i really am very impressed. i don't know if i have it in me.
happy TT!
Alison-Never underestimate my love for Arizona sunshine OR Trader Joe's. They made #2 worth it.
Post a Comment