
I've mentioned here before that I suffer from Type 2 ADD which, in simple terms, means that I've spent most of my life staring out the window daydreaming. According to my research, medication doesn't help this type of ADD nearly as much as some type of organizational training and so, my obsession with Flylady.com was born. Unfortunately, during stressful times, even those famous "15 minutes" seem beyond my reach. Worrying about work and school deadlines, PTA stuff, or even listening to the kids' noise completely sidetracks me from whatever cleaning shore I'm trying to accomplish. After choking down Focus Factor pills, setting timers, and more beating myself up over the mess in my house than any human being should ever do to herself; the solution turned out to be rather simple.

If I want a shiny sink, clean bathroom, or folded laundry; I just pick up my iPod, put on the headphones, and get to work. Getting into the music really helps me shut out my other distractions. Of course, it's never turned up so loud that I would miss something bad/important happening with the kids and I have way too many "informers" among my four children to ever miss out on any serious misbehavior anyway. But, if I want to get any cleaning done around here, my iPod really helps me stay on task. Works for me!
4 comments:
This is an excellent suggestion. I begged for an ipod for my birthday (and got it, thanks to generous family) but I don't use it nearly enough. I really ought to try it with chores.
Maybe it will help my ADD son too. No, maybe not since I'd have to loan him my ipod. Hmmm.
I'm not sure what will help my ADD daughter. I just posted in frustration about my struggles with her room. No way am I loaning her my iPod. Look what she did to poor Weird Al.
OMG!! I was just going to post a WFMW on the EXACT same topic. I just swent the evening washing dishes, wiping up the counters and floor, swiftering, etc.. As I was bopping along getting my chores done, I thought this is definitely something that works for me.
I have been diagnosed with having Adult ADD, too. I tried Concerta, but it really didn't do anything and it made me feel weird. Does the Focus Factor work at all?
jen-
Focus Factor may work, but you have to take so many pills per day that I got tired of it. You take four in the morning and then up to four more as needed during the day. I'm not usually the kind that has trouble swallowing pills, but even for me it was too much.
Post a Comment