Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Works for me Wednesday


Although I am not Catholic, I've got lots of friends, family, and co-workers who are and I have always been a little awestruck by the traditions and rituals surrounding that faith even though I already know quite a bit about them. After all, I majored in Latin and once lived in Italy. So this year, I'm giving up something for Lent. That would be chocolate. I know it's dark chocolate is good for you in small amounts, but that's not how I eat it. It's more of an addiction for me. So, to help me curb that (and to prove to myself I can do it) I'm giving it up until Easter. I don't mean to disrespect my own faith or mock the beliefs of my Catholic loved ones. I just see this as a way to show solidarity with them while hopefully curing myself of a nasty habit along the way. Works for me!

6 comments:

Lanie said...

I always give up something for Lent too, but that comes from living in Louisiana for the first part of my life. This year it's sweets. I gave them up to loose weight last fall but started eating it again after I felt more comfortable in my clothes. I'll back you on the chocolate if you back me on the sweets!!

Unknown said...

Good luck!

Melessa Gregg said...

Lanie-One of our new interns lived in Louisiana for awhile and says she always gives something up-then three other co-workers are Catholic, so I'm in good company. I'm not brave enough to give up sweets altogether, but since almost all the sweets I love are chocolate; I think this will still help.

Mari-Thanks! (I need to check your blog and see what you are up to lately.)

Lindsey said...

I always give up something for Lent! I'm Episcopalian now, but I started doing it YEARS ago when I was attending a Methodist church. This year I'm giving up cheese! Good luck, and happy WFMW!

Anonymous said...

Love this idea...I did it once many many years ago to see if I could do it. I actually made it through and the Cadbury Creme Eggs that Easter were the best ones ever!!! Good Luck! :)

Melessa Gregg said...

lindsey-Thanks for stopping by! Good luck with the cheese.

arbee-Knowing that you did it gives me hope that maybe I can too.