Monday, March 05, 2007

Days That Don't Belong to Dogs

My kids were all sent home today with head lice. All I've done since 4 p.m. is wash sheets, wash hair, and wish that I had more than one son whose badly buzzed hair may look bad right now; but will be one less head to worry about during the next two weeks of literal "nit-picking" that lie ahead of me. I feel so bad for them that I've let them all camp out here on the floor tonight. They've also been allowed to watch endless Pokemon and play Gameboy on a weeknight. They had Sonic for dinner and I got myself a Sonic Sunrise to drink while wishing mightily for some "real" ingredients to go in it. (Granted, it's been about 15 years since I've had any tequila and, if memory serves, that didn't work out too well for me back then either.)

So far, I've had to tell all their teachers, be checked myself by the school secretary (I'm bug-free/nit-free thank you very much), tell the parents of the two kids who carpool with us (long-time friends of the family), buy that "special shampoo at Wal-Mart," and get my Dad to come and help me use that shampoo on the two little girls so they didn't get it in their eyes while jumping around in protest. This means that my mom knows and that the rest of my family will soon find out too. Oh, and using the clippers on Tristan? Not fun. The end result? Not pretty. It's a good thing I passed on beauty school. Tomorrow will bring more laundry, more vacuuming, and more combing and picking than any one mom or three little girls should have to put up with. I've done this before, I know what's involved, and it all pretty much sucks. But what's REALLY making me mad is that two weeks ago Dave found the lice in Tristan's (and ONLY Tristan's) hair and I said "Cool! Just clip his head and we're good to go." Of course, because I told him to do it, he refused and swore up and down that he got them all out. Did I really believe it? No. But I really wanted to...I was still writing my paper at the time and trying to get everything ready both for graduation and The Big Event at work. I knew he would blow off everything I told him to do to take care of the problem, but I trusted him anyway because I HAD to. Over the years, I've learned better than to do that, but just once I'd like to be able to ask my husband to take care of something and actually have him do it. But now, as usual, the mess has multiplied by four and I'm going to have to handle it all by myself.

Lanie, Chris, Wendy-instead of hanging out at my house this weekend, how would you feel about The Mont and a movie? I could really go for some time away from this house accompanied by a swirl and some queso. I promise I'll bring a note from the health dept. declaring my head a lice-free zone if that's what it takes to get out of here for a few hours.

21 comments:

Millie said...

Wow. I'm so sorry. :( It's not just the lice either... sounds like there's some family issues at work.

I think what you did with the kids was sweet.

Lanie said...

Sounds great to me... I rarely get to go to some of my old haunts.

I hope everything gets better at home.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Just reading your post, I'm knocking on wood and saying to prayer to the "keep-the-bugs-away" gods. Good for you for hanging onto your patience and good humor.

Redneck Diva said...

AGHHHHHHHHHH! Abby got them in Kindergarten repeatedly from the little girl she had to share a cubby with. (poor grammar, shoot me) It finally took a prescription gunk that we had to put on her head for 8 hours.

I've heard recently that mayonnaise is more effective and safer than the special shampoo at Wal*Mart. Of course, you also run the risk of your child smelling like rotten egg salad for a week....

Hang in there! The weekend's only....uh....4 days away!

Melessa Gregg said...

millie-thanks and yes, my husband still has the immature need to prove that I'm "not the boss of" him. I think he may have learned a bit of a lesson last night.

Lanie-I'll try to figure out a time later this evening.

Shelley-Thanks! And thanks for visiting me too.

Redneck Diva-We came home from WDW with head lice a few years ago and tried EVERYTHING. I think the only thing that truly works is combing, but it's nice to know the doctor can help us out if need be. I'm not sure where this came from, no one else in any of their classes seems to have it. I guess we're just the po' white trash family at our school. Wah!

Christy said...

Well, you do live in Goldsby! ;)

I'm sorry this happened! What a pain. The lice is a pain, too.

They do make virgin swirls don't they? I love The Mont.

Christina said...

The Mont sounds fine to me. We can always hit my house if we need somewhere else to hang out!

I've "invited" Lanie to come paint on the last weekend on March since I helped paint her new house last summer. There's always something to do at my house! I just never do it!

-atomik kitten said...

We get a letter home from Monkey Butt's teacher every week saying that a case of lice has been reported in his class...

thatgirl said...

Oh, Melessa. My sympathies. So sorry you have to go through this with all the kids, sweetie.

Melessa Gregg said...

Christy-I wish you could join us-and I'm not sure about a swirl, but there are plenty of drinks for a good girl like me.

Chris-I'm good to go by 2 p.m. on Saturday. Can't wait for some adult company.

Practical Chick-I guess our notes will come home on Thursday. :>(

thatgirl-thanks so much...

Christy said...

You're probably right about the swirl. Abuelo's has a Sangria Swirl that I've always wanted to try but alas...there's no separating the alcohol from the swirl.

Jennifer said...

Feel for you Melessa! And OMG The Mont in Norman?? Christina where do you live and email me!! jenzilla@sbcglobal.net

Anonymous said...

Melessa, you guys didn't GROW the lice from scratch, LOL. SOMEBODY ELSE has them!!! Sounds like someone in Tristan's class gave them to him. Kick Dave for me, and tell him my hubby says I'm not the boss of him, either. (eg)

Love,
Jen

Anonymous said...

{{{{Melessa}}}} I'm so, so sorry, honey. Sending you critter-free vibes, stat.

Tiffany said...

I'm thankful at this moment to be the mom of 3 boys. I remember vividly having lice as a kid--how my mom handled 5 heads of really thick and really long hair is beyond me. You are a good mom to deal with all of it. I've seen moms shave their little girls' head. That is just cruel! Good luck!

Scribbit said...

OOH! You've got my sympathies. Ugh what a lot of pain to deal with. Good luck.

Julie Q. said...

Blech. So sorry. When I can't turn to tequila, I resort to chocolate to take the edge off. I know, SO original.

Good luck.

Melessa Gregg said...

jen in Wilburton-You remember where The Mont is-I wish you could meet us there. We're going at 2-ish on Saturday and I'm so not kidding about you joining us.

jen in Delaware-I know we didn't grow the lice and I saw a couple of kids in Tristan's class (boys) with suddenly-shaved heads. (And their moms did a better job on them. Wah!) Dave is feeling very humbled right now. He told me a few days ago that he was meaner than I was. I took that as a challenge. And I won. LOL!

toni-Thank you! Like my friend Tiffany below you, you can thank the powers that be for three boys. Treating Tristan was SO freakin' easy compared to his sisters. I'm glad you made it there and back safely.

tiffany-It was hard enough to shave the boy, I could never do it to the girls. I don't know how your mom did it either. Caroline and Elisa have my baby-fine hair, but Natalie has her dad's super-thick hair and getting them out has been miserable.

scribbit-Thank you so much.

julie q.-Even in my wilder days, chocolate was a much better friend to me. I just had to toss out that tequila reference to fool people into thinking I was cool. Do you think it worked? ;>)

Sandy said...

Oh joy. Happy. Happy. Fun. :( I'm not sure who I feel worse for - the kids or the mom. May the guests of dishonor be gone soon and your nit-picking need only be short-lived. (or something like that.)

Jen said...

Sorry to hear about the lice. That is so annoying! Hope you got rid of them all.

I can sympathize with the husband issues--we are constantly dealing with the same kind of thing around here. It gets old after awhile.

Melessa Gregg said...

sandy-The county health dept. has declared my kids' hair nit-free/bug-free. It doesn't mean that I don't continue searching them nightly, but it does mean they can go back to school. (And that the searches won't be "fruitful" if we're lucky.) Thanks for the comment!

Jen-Yeah, marriage is like that, isn't it? I don't trust that the lice are gone yet. But they are on a temporary hiatus.