Reading
Atonement by Ian McEwan-
I loved the book, but even after finishing it, I still thought the movie was quite well done. It was definitely not a "happily ever after" fairy tale, but it was a very satisfying read and didn't detract at all from my love for the movie. All in all, I recommend either. (Although books are almost always better)
The rest of what I am reading is located on my Shelfari shelf on the blog sidebar (unless of course you are reading the copied and pasted version of this on my MySpace blog-then you are out of luck until I remember to copy it over there too). I can't say enough good about the SNB Knitter's Guide. While in Arizona, Anne taught me the very first, most basic knit stitch and I got started. Then, I left before I knew how to complete my project. She recommended this book to me when I emailed her about that particular dilemma and when I paid myself for cleaning Natalie's room with her Border's gift card, I picked up a copy. It's a huge help. (And Christy, I know scarves are boring, but also an incredibly good way to get lots of practice. When I finish the basic scarf, I will go on to the ribbed one, then I'll get creative from there.)
Watching
You know, I watched a ton of TV during my sick days, but remember very little about any of it. I even went to bed midway through Reaper and I really like that show. I did watch both the Democrat and Republican debates that took place before Super Tuesday, but it seems redundant to comment on them now. As it stands, I would be OK with any of the three front-runners in the Oval Office. I even like Huckabee more than I thought I did now that I've heard him speak live instead of in soundbytes-but I still think mixing religion and politics is not what we need as a nation.
At the Movies
27 Dresses
I had a horrible day teaching Primary (be ready for that sentence to recur pretty much every Sunday I spend in this calling-I'm just not a "little kid" person and do not enjoy Primary callings-this is my 3rd one since I joined the church, just for reference). Anyway, after coming home determined never to step foot in church again, I was more than happy to join Chris, Lanie, Wendy, Vickie, and Lanie's friend K (whose permission I still feel I should seek before using her name) for girls' night at the movies. (Yup-I'm a Sabbath breaker. But, I'm pretty sure I'll be at church next Sunday. And I'm also pretty sure God still likes me. Anyway...) This movie was so cute! No, it's not an Academy Award winner, but it was perfect for girls' night out. It's all about a put-upon, single gal who never stands up for herself, and I have to admit I was impressed at how mousy they made Katherine Heigl look in most of her scenes. It also featured James Marsden who I think is just dreamy (sigh)! I could really relate to Jane and therefore, I liked it even though it was just as predictable as the critics said it was. It still gets 2 thumbs-up from me and a hearty recommendation for a night out with the gals. Let's do it again, Ladies!
We also determined last night over dinner (at Alfredo's-YUM!) that while we are too old to cloudbust (Fisher King reference), we are still young enough to wear napkins on our heads (long story) and dance on bars like Jane. Thank goodness! I can live without cloudbusting, but not without acting silly with my friends. No matter how old we get.
Knitting Progress
I'm about halfway through my scarf. I'll post pictures when it's finished.
FlyLady Progress
I spent most of last week sick...don't ask.
9 comments:
I think the best way to appreciate Atonement is movie first, then book. The movie is so great, and then reading the book adds whole other layers.
I sympathize with you about Primary too! I teach Primary class at our church ONLY because I have kids in that class and I'm pretty sure no-one else will do it if my husband I don't ... working with little kids (ones I didn't give birth to) is SO not my spiritual gift. In one way (only one) I can't wait till they're teenagers so I can get back to working with an age group I actually have some skilz with. Only of course by that time my children would probably DIE rather than have their mom teach them or lead youth group. Oh well.
Trudy-I approached it that way on purpose, I SO badly wanted to see that movie and love it. I still loved the movie version of Little Children even after reading the book first. And I actually like The Notebook as a movie even though I thought the book was dull. (I have a soft spot for James Garner, he's from my hometown.)
Trudy-One of my kids has always been in whatever Primary class I have taught too. Like you, my skilz are best applied to the 12 and up set.
Thanks for supporting my comments. Glad to know Alfredo's in your part of town is good too. We're big fans of our place on the westside of the metro.
Dayna-I enjoy your blog! And it had been awhile since I had Alfredo's, I forgot how good it was!
I'm in the nursery. I feel your pain.
leeann-I think having my daughter (who just LOVES to talk back to me) in the class is my biggest problem with it. One of my Primary callings was Nursery. I didn't know that I never had it so good. No back-talk in there! Pee pee pants and crying for Mama...well, that we had in abundance.
Knitting? Eww! gross! Crochet instead!
Regarding Atonement:
I have a hard time seeing movies that might have sad endings if I don't know about them first. Seriously, I'll stop watching a movie even if I love it, because I can't handle the disappointment LOL I could probably take the book. Sad endings in books are less traumatic, although they stay with me forever. I won't ask for the complete story, but is it something you can see coming? Or does it sneak up at the end and rip your heart out? I really want to see the movie and read the book, but I have to know the ending before I can. I know, I know, I'M A FREAK!!!!
Could you please email me to spare the "normal" viewing audience :)
Post a Comment