Saturday, March 22, 2008

Memorable Quotes o' the Week

Me (on parenting): "I'm doing my best to teach my kids tolerance. I couldn't bear for them to judge someone based on their race, religion, or sexual orientation. But if they figure out someone is stupid, I'm all about letting them point that out."

For example, we went to the zoo on Thursday. I hate to visit the zoo during spring break because it is packed. But, we have a family pass, so I figured if we were hating it; we could leave after an hour or so. (We lasted 2, and then Dave had an errand to run.) Anyway, anyplace packed with people always ups the potential for stupidity among the masses and that day was no different. There was one woman in particular who kept shoving her "preshus" grandchildren in front of mine at every crowded exhibit there was (or most of them). Which explains my pride at this exchange (some names have been changed):

Scary Grandma in front of the Ape Escape exhibit: (where she had just, no doubt, shoved Tristan out of the way) Hey little Bubba Jr.! Com'ere and lookit the monkeys!
Tristan: I'm sorry Ma'am, but they're gorillas.
Scary Grandma: (blank stare)
Tristan: You know, go-ril-las.
Scary Grandma: (looks at me to 'discipline' my son for his cheek)
Me: That's my smart boy, Tristan!

I am so going to get beat up someday...

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yeah, you are so gonna get beat someday! Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way... but as my daughter becomes more and more of a rambunctious teenager each day, I'm afraid that I may not have to open my mouth at all. She'll find a way to get me beat up without me having to say a word! (she doesn't really hold anything back these days. :-) )

Kudos to Tristan for his wonderful response! Right on! :-)

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious. WTG Tristan! He was very polite about it, too.

stef said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
stef said...

That is hilarious!! You can't help it if you have a smart boy :) He was just pointing out the obvious.

stef said...

In case you are wondering Melessa...I accidentally posted my comment twice :)

Pixie said...

Ha ha!!