Sunday, June 29, 2008

Shows in Review

All I did this week was go to shows, so we'll just toss out the rest of the usual Week In Review stuff and focus on those:

Cyndi Lauper's True Colors Tour-

As I mentioned, my good friend Wendy bought tickets thinking they were for the Journey/Heart/Cheap Trick concert on July 23rd. She had a baby last week (there's a lot of that going 'round lately) and there's no way she could have managed this concert too. So, I was happy to buy the tickets from her. The show featured Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Andy Bell from Erasure, the B-52's, a stand-up act by Margaret Cho, and Carson Kressley was the emcee. I had a GREAT time and Dave was, well, a great sport about the whole thing. He came home from work Monday and as we were changing to go said "Did you know that PFLAG was a BIG sponsor for this tour?" And I was all "Uh, yeah...did I not mention that?" I think he really did enjoy himself but the crowd was just a little more colorful than more poor, straight-laced (pun intended) husband is usually a part of. As for me, I got to use the men's room with all the gay guys when they saw how long the ladies' room line was and invited me in-I thought it was hilarious, but Dave wasn't as amused. Oh well. Carson Kressley was hilarious and so was Margaret Cho. Joan Jett still rocks as does Andy Bell and Cyndi Lauper was amazing too. Of course, as I stood there watching her sing and thinking "Wow! I've loved her music since I was 12 and she is RIGHT THERE six rows ahead of me. I love her. I love this night. This is the best thing I've ever done...Wait a minute! Somebody close to me MUST be smoking pot for me to feel like this." And yes, they were. Watching the security guard trying to figure it out was funny too. The point of the tour was for all of us to have a great time and think a little harder about being friends no matter what our differences our. That is kind of the point of my whole life, so I enjoyed being a part of that. I think Margaret Cho put it best when she discussed her experiences as a former Sunday school teacher (who knew?) and said "I've read the Bible and what God is saying is 'Don't be an a$$hole.' And because of Jesus, all we have to do is try not to be an a$$hole." It was a great show! (Even if it was about a million degrees outside.)

Willy Wonka Jr.

Miss Caroline made her stage debut singing for about 45 seconds in the "I've Got a Golden Ticket" number. She was very cute. The all-children's cast musical was amazing, as usual. Sooner Theatre certainly has talent. I was worried Natalie wouldn't enjoy the show or would resent not being in the cast. I was wrong on both counts. She had a great time congratulating her friends after the show. And, even though I knew it was just a play and just actors on the stage, I still get tears in my eyes every time Charlie finds the golden ticket in his Wonka bar. I just can't help it. I'm a dork.

The Lyric Theatre: Sound of Music-

As if season Civic Center tickets weren't enough, we also bought tickets for Lyric theatre's summer season. Natalie's Intro to Musical Theatre class did a Sound of Music medley for this spring's showcase, so I was really excited to take her to the actual play. By a lucky coincidence there was a ticket for Caroline to go too. She pretty much attached herself to Lanie and Natalie latched onto her Aunt Chris. If there's one thing I enjoy more than being with my kids for something like this, it's seeing how much they love my friends and vice versa during a show like this. It was a long, crazy week and seeing a show we all knew and loved was a nice way to end it.

4 comments:

Fiona Picklebottom said...

That all sounds like so much fun! What a great weekend!

Fiona Picklebottom said...

I mean week!

Anonymous said...

katherine and i went to sound of music too -- loved it!!!

eliz mcp

Tiffany said...

I saw that Willy Wonka was a sell-out. Wow!