Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #50: Or Why It's a Wonderful Life, After All (inspired by Maria's comment)

To keep this blog from being re-named "But I Whine Too Much" (or even "But I Re-gress?" Sorry, couldn't resist!), today's list will be a happy one. As I generally do after a day or two of feeling mad, I spent today counting good things. Let's see if I came up with thirteen of them...

  1. I didn't hear my alarm go off, BUT still woke up within ten minutes of the actual wake-up time instinctively. (Not normal for me by a long stretch) So even though I technically overslept, we were not late and we were not panicked this morning. That was nice.
  2. While I am still quite heart-broken that there will now never be a time that all four of my kids are in school together, Elisa was re-admitted to her pre-school and into their Pre-K program. She started today. What a relief! (Also, Aunt M is paying for it. Like the lady in Steel Magnolias, she has more money than God, so it doesn't bother me as much as it would if it were Mom. Am I properly ashamed that I can't pay for my own child care. Yes. But I'll still take the money. As she said 'Either I spend it now or the government gets it when I die. And it's not theirs yet!)
  3. I was the first one at work today! (That hasn't happened since school let out last May.)
  4. My co-workers brought me a Jamocha shake at lunch! They are a rare indulgence for me. I had half this afternoon and will enjoy the other half tomorrow morning when I arrive. I think I just might even be on time again!
  5. I had a calm, enjoyable day at work. I found the original accession record for five of my "stray" artifacts, the IMLS Book Collection that I applied for last Spring and was told we had been awarded two weeks ago arrived via UPS and we got to start looking at them today. AND I got the 160 pictures that I took the day before yesterday all edited and re-sized so I can upload them to their written accession records in the File Maker Pro database. (Boring to most of you, I know-but very exciting to me because it's tedious work and I'm always much happier when it's DONE.) And I mentioned the Jamocha shake, right?
  6. I emailed my buddy John and heard right back from him! (Chris will appreciate that one.) Granted it was one-sentence correspondence on both sides, but still-immediate response from John. (Good thing it's recorded on my blog for posterity.)
  7. I finally got to watch Into the Wild (I know my sidebar says Waitress has been here forever, but it was actually Into the Wild). Very, very good-even if it did make me cry. (What doesn't make me cry?) It was worth the wait. Now I'm going to read the book (even though I usually do that in the opposite order.)
  8. I also finished up the end of the last season of Degrassi that I have any interest in watching. (It will go forward from here, but with new cast members who don't interest me.) Emma, Manny, Toby, Liberty, Spinner, and Jimmy all graduated and it was all good.
  9. I got to Twitter with some of my favorite FREDDIES this afternoon.
  10. On the way home from work, my friend Wendy called me with a Stephenie Meyer emergency (she had just finished Eclipse) and I was able to drive right over to her house with Breaking Dawn. Why? Because SHE LIVES FIVE MINUTES FROM MY HOUSE! You know how when you are teenagers you plan on getting married and living close so your kids can play? We actually get to do that now!!
  11. I got to drive the carpool for the first time today. For all my whining, I really do love all of those kids. We sat in the C's driveway for at least five minutes longer than necessary because they all had to tell me about their summers and their new classes and teachers. I forgot how much I missed them over the summer and it was good to have them all back in my car again. (Yes, I'm certifiable.)
  12. I got to play at making real Italian food at dinner tonight. Admittedly, I didn't like the end result (too spicy), but Dave did. The kids ate mac and cheese. I also remembered that I have a bread maker and pulled it out and used it today. Yum! The kids had no memory of me ever using it before which means it had been WAY TOO LONG. Maybe I'll make the homemade Swiss bread this weekend. I don't think I've made that since Natalie was a baby. (Nothing is open on Sundays in Italy, if you want bread-you make bread. I'm so sad I've gotten out of the habit of doing it.)
  13. I have 6 round-trip tickets to Seattle! I'm finally taking the kids to visit favorite Uncle Bob and to see as many of the places that their mom loved as a kid as I can cram into the long weekend we have there. We'll try not to stand out as Okies. ;>)
*BONUS* Tomorrow is Friday!

Did you notice how much I had to cram into each item to limit the list to 13? Life is good. It really is. For more Thursday Thirteens, click here.

10 comments:

Lonna said...

Glad you are feeling better!

Anonymous said...

I glad you had a better day today! Soon you will be running down Main Street yelling, "Merry Christmas Emporium! Merry Christmas Bijou!"

Melessa Gregg said...

Lonna-Thanks! I hope you are feeling better too.

Maria-ROTFL! Now I think I have to edit the title of this post a little bit.

Tiffany said...

Glad to see you feeling up. Yes, life is hard sometimes. Sometimes it is ridiculously hard. Sometimes we even grow because of those times. I hope it can be a benefit to you--after all the agony you gotta get something out of this.

Anonymous said...

Even when things weren't great, you found the silver lining.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so happy to read this happy ending, Melessa! I'm still annoyed for you that you didn't get your chance at having the kids all in one place, but at least it did work out okay!

Love you,
Jen

Tracy said...

Since you're obviously more chipper, I think I can now safely ;-) say this: I had all 4 of my big kids at one school last year, and it wasn't all that it's cracked up to be. In fact, I spent about half the year wishing I'd put Rex in preK at your school instead of ours. I'm sure there are many blessings in store for you because of this snafu ... I'm just a big wuss and would rather go straight to the blessings part, but alas, it never appears to be that way, eh? Hugs!

Fiona Picklebottom said...

When I was a kid, I used to watch Degrassi Junior High (it had the cute little guy with the hat, can't remember his name, but I want to say Jeremiah). Then they all went to high school and the show was renamed Degrassi High. I had a mad crush on the kid I think is named Jeremiah, which you'd THINK would make me remember his name, even though I was too old for him (I think the show was on when I was in 10th grade).

Anonymous said...

YAY! I'm so excited the Gregg clan is coming here. Molly wants to go up in the Space Needle if you guys do, sound ok?

Melessa Gregg said...

Tiffany-I hope there's some benefit in this, besides me learning yet another 'important life lesson' because frankly, I'm feeling a little full-up on those lately.

alice audrey-I got there eventually! Thanks for visiting!

Jen-I love that you get why I was so upset about them not being together. I know in the grand scheme of things that it doesn't matter-but it was disappointing.

Tracy-I'm not sure there will be a blessing. I think I will just keep getting smacked with things like this so I will learn not to throw fits. Though, if I haven't outgrown it by now...Good to know having all of them together might not have been all I dreamed it could be.

Fiona P-It was Joey Jeremiah. He appeared for several seasons on The Next Generation too. Snake and Spike are still on there, in fact. Married with a kid about 5.

Libby-You KNOW my kids are going to want to see the Space Needle! Only one of them has been up and she was about 6 months old at the time. See ya there!