Sunday, August 24, 2008

Week In Review

Reading-

The Book of Mormon-

This should be on my list every week and this isn't the first week this year that I've read it-but as part of my calling is to visit other wards and branches in the stake, it occurred to me that I don't want to sound like an idiot if I'm called on in one of their Sunday School classes. The same is true for my own branch on the rare occasion I get to attend there. This is the second week that I've not only read the Sunday School lesson, but also used those study aids in the old BOM Institute manual that's been gathering dust on the bookshelf since college. Of course, each Sunday I read almost guarantees that I will have a sick kid Sunday morning. I went and Dave stayed home through Natalie's stomach bug last week, so I dealt with Elisa's cold at home today. But at least I know that I read the lesson and was prepared.

Teaching of the Prophet Joseph Smith-

I will admit that I've been much more remiss in reading the Relief Society lessons because I've held callings in either Primary or Young Women for the past three years. But last Sunday actually found me in my local R.S. room and I could express no thoughts whatsoever because I hadn't read the lesson. Of course, having read this week's lesson, I found myself at home with a sick little one. But again, at least I was prepared. I will likely continue reading both of these throughout the rest of the year, but I may or may not mention it here again since it's on ongoing thing.

Watching-

Sex and the City re-runs-

I went to the HBO website to do a little inventory since TBS seems to broadcast these things in an all-over-the-place manner. I've seen all of Season 1 except for the last one. I've seen about half of Season 2, most of Seasons 3 & 4, and very little of Seasons 5&6. I think I'm just going to have to borrow someone's DVD's because while TBS has aired several epsiodes multiple times, there are others that I think may never show. Either way, I think Seasons 3 and 4 are my favorites though there are very few episodes that I don't like.

Degrassi-

I watched the last four episodes of this season and saw three of the four series originals graduate (sans J.T. who they killed off for no reason-in MHO-last season). They were good episodes, and I think I'm finally ready to be done watching the teeny bopper shows. (I LUV'D me some Dawson's Creek too back in the day.) Hey, everybody grows up someday-right?

In My Netflix Queue-

Into the Wild-

Umm...Wow?! It's hard to put into words how amazing this movie was to me. Sean Penn was seriously overlooked at last year's Oscars. The performances were all superb, and while many good movies leave me in tears at the end-this one made me cry throughout the rest of the day anytime I thought about it. I had no idea it was based on a true story, though I knew about Krakauer's book which I'm very much looking forward to reading now.

Extracurricular Activities-

1st Day of School-

I may not have been a happy camper, but I made sure the kids had a good back-to-school experience. They all seem to like their teachers though Tristan, yet again, has one of Natalie's former teachers. If I didn't like that teacher so much, I might have complained this year because I know he felt like there were comparison's last year (although his teacher last year AND this year aren't really the types to do that) and I hope he doesn't feel that way again. Poor Buddy. It's probably good that we will most likely go to our actual school district next year. Caroline also got Tristan's former teacher, but again, I would have picked her if I had the choice so I can't really complain about it. Also, Caroline doesn't have the same competitive streak that her two older siblings do, and won't be very affected by having the same teacher. All the 5th grade teachers were wonderful, so I'm pleased with who Natalie got, but would have been pleased regardless. Elisa's Pre-K teacher at the pre-school was briefly the three year-old teacher when Elisa first started there last year, so despite the whole debacle of last week-sending her back to the other school seemed full-circle to me. Her afternoon teacher (usually college students, which I LOVE) came from the exact same dynamic as Elisa (girl, boy, girl, girl) and again just reinforces my belief that things worked out the way they should. I'm still a little sad she won't have the Pre-K teacher at the elementary school, but I really feel like Tristan was the only kid who NEEDED to have has as a teacher and that Caroline being in her class was just an added bonus. Still, I'm glad that first week is over and that everything has calmed down a bit. I'm getting too old for the stress of being that upset-I fell asleep in my clothes and glasses at 8:30 p.m. last night, and I can't even blame it on being pregnant. (The only time in my life previously when such occurances were commonplace.)

Stake Leadership Meetings-

I think I covered this pretty well yesterday, but the 'refiner's fire' of Girls' Camp and the Nauvoo trip certainly seem to have cured me of any feelings of unworthiness or not being qualified enough to hold the calling that I do. Are there other women equally if not more qualified? Sure. But I really believe I'm where the Lord wants me right now. No question about it. Even if it meant sitting on the stand yesterday, which I don't think I'll ever learn to love completely,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple years ago I read Into the Wild, and I could not stop thinking about it and that kid for MONTHS. I confess I had the book in my bed with me for several days, and would just pick it up and re-read passages. I was so thrilled when I found out Sean Penn was making the movie - I think he did a great job. That book inspired me to read everything Krakauer has ever written. I would be interested to hear your opinion on his LDS one, if you ever read it. His latest book is about Pat Tillman - it's coming out this fall I think, I'm excited for that one too.

Melessa Gregg said...

Libby-
I did read that, actually. I even blogged about it, but then I chickened out and took down what I wrote. Frankly, I think it was well-written and fairly objective and I found it interesting. Obviously, it's not a pro_LDS book, but I don't know that it's really anti either. He has no use for the polygamist weirdos, but neither do I.

I really want to read more of his stuff too, but I'm not sure if anything will ever touch me as much as Into the Wild did.

Anonymous said...

Libby, I just found out about Pat Tillman as his next subject, too, when I just HAD to find out what Krakauer was working on next. I just read Under the Banner of Heaven a couple months ago. Unfortunately I read it just after I visited Melessa -- unfortunately because I found I had lots of questions for her. To me as an LDS outsider, I thought it was very well done and didn't give me a negative opinion of mainstream LDS at all. I was pretty fascinated by how much the church as grown in, what? A mere century and a half?

Melessa, did you see who's a main character the new 90210? Darcy!

sandra

Lonna said...

The TBS version of Sex & the City is very cleaned up. The HBO episodes and the new movie are very R rated. I very much prefer the dirty stuff.

I started Into the Wild but couldn't get through it. I keep meaning to pick it up again. Haven't seen the movie.

Melessa Gregg said...

Sandra-Email me any questions and I will do my best to answer them. I've read the book, so that may help.

I saw Darcy was 'moving' and it's part of the reason I've got pretty much no interest in watching anymore DeGrassi.

Lonna-You miss entire subplots on TBS and I'm tired of watching them out of order, so I'm starting over with DVD's as soon as I can borrow some. I wish I had read Into the Wild before I watched it, but I think the film could definitely stand alone as well.