Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Most Annoying Thing

So, as my Twitter followers already know, I woke up this morning, put on my glasses, and spotted a frog climbing up the wall from behind my desk-and it wasn't Kermit. He jumped from the wall into my Master Bath and I heard his slimy little legs splat on the tile floor-eew! So, I did what any good mom would do, grabbed my four year-old and ran screaming from the room. Thank goodness my clothes were laid out in the living room because I had no intention of going back in there before leaving the house this morning. For good measure, Tristan stuffed a towel under the door crack to keep him from exploring our house.

Dave is conducting a more thorough search of the bedroom as I type this, but he hasn't found anything yet. I would swear off sleeping in my room in favor of the couch, but a mouse has been running in and out of a small hole in our living room fireplace that my cats have proven themselves useless at catching. Tell me again why it was I wanted to live in the country?

*Updated to add: The frog has been located and evicted. No word on the mouse...but I think the cats look too skinny to hope that it's gone too.*

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, its just a frog. No matter what Lanie or Vickie says, they don't bite or sting or carry away children in the night.

Christina said...

I read your blog before I checked my voice mail so I had to come back and comment. Sorry I missed your call, I leave my phone in the car when I'm in class.

It's not like it's a spider, they do carry away children and full grown adults in the night. I'm laughing with you though, not at you.

I woke hubby up at 2AM a few weeks ago. I didn't scream exactly but I was hooting really loud. A grass spider that was tarantula-sized was in my TV room. I was almost trapped in there because it was right next to the door and I didn't see it until I was already in. I had to close my eyes and run past it. At least I didn't drop my dinner and the dog didn't eat it then come lick me. Hubby had to get out of bed and come take care of it as I paced in the kitchen, freaking out. I spent some quality time with the spray-foam, shooting it underneath the walls that weekend. Since we've pulled all of our baseboards off, it was pretty easy for the creepy-crawlies to get in. That was 1 of 3 very large ones that were in the house that week.

Melessa Gregg said...

Anon-I know it's just a frog, just a slimy, gross frog prone to sudden movement. All in all, my worst nightmare.

Chris-No worries, I wasn't sure if I would blog the big frog scare and I didn't want you to miss out on the chance to tease and/or sympathize with me.

Sorry about the spiders, I hate those too.

Jennifer said...

1. How can someone who loves Kermie so much fear the real life version?

2. I the spider is smaller than my foot, I'm cool with it. And as you defended my foot size once with the reasoning that I need big feet because I'm tall, you know I could take a tarantula if needed.
Also, my big Shrek of a husband is a puss when it comes to spiders, so I deal with them.

3. I lived with an iguana in my home for 5 years and it grew from 6 inches to 5 feet, so a small frog doesn't phase me anymore. However all bets are off with snakes!

4. I have so many cats running around here and if it crawls or flys, it's toast.

Melessa Gregg said...

Jen-
Kermit is a fuzzy, funny, felt puppet built by Jim Henson. This frog was slimy and didn't know any good jokes. Nor was he accompanied by any of the Muppets.

Smaller spiders don't bug me, but anything bigger than a quarter is scary to me.

We are getting a third cat, maybe that will help more with critter control.

Lanie said...

Frogs are EVIL!! They have fangs that come out while those who don't believe aren't looking!!

Melessa Gregg said...

Lanie-Damn right they do! You can't be too careful with frogs.