Sunday, September 07, 2008

Weekly Winners: St. Louis Trip edition

This wound up being a longer post than I originally planned, so I made many of the pics small. As usual, click on them to embiggen. With that detail out of the way, let's get on with the show:

We got a much earlier start and even with the I-40 shut-downs and detours, we still made it to the Arch around 9 a.m. It is way more massive in person than I thought it would be:

Also, it's heats up on the outside pretty quickly-OW!
I was a little iffy on whether or not I actually wanted to go up into the Arch, but I knew I could handle the Riverboat. So, Dave walked all the way down there and back, little knowing that we could have purchased everything inside the Arch itself. Oops!
Meanwhile, we watched the security line going inside the Arch get longer and longer. Dave made it back and we joined the line. By the time we got inside, the soonest ticket time to go up in the Arch would have conflicted with our cruise tickets. So, we toured the museum and bought tickets (in yet another line) for a later time to ride the elevator of 'death.' I was very impressed by the museum. Here are some highlights (for Libby, if no one else):
There were dioramas AND a continual loop DVD. Libby and I could have been mesmerized for hours!
There were also animatronic characters, I want to mock them but the picture on the right makes that impossible (and I wish I were a better photographer to have captured that moment properly):
There were a lot of exhibits that looked like they came from where Mom works:
and I personally loved the detail added to the wagon display
Before long, it was time for our hour-long cruise on the Mississppi
We took the Tom Sawyer, this is our view of the Becky Thatcher and the Arch as we pulled away from the dock.
I fell in love with St. Louis architecture while I was there. It truly is "where East Meets West" I can see why Rose, Esther, Lon, Tootie, and Agnes didn't want to move to New York City.
This pic is very misleading. Within 5 minutes of snapping it, they had all trooped below deck for the air-conditioned refreshement area. I stayed outside and took more pictures:
In one picture, an operational grain elevator is loading a barge and a partially submerged, retired military submarine is in the other. They have been trying (unsuccessfully) to raise it for years. According to the non-canned narration. (Our Tahoe boat tour was amusingly pre-recorded)
This is just a bridge I thought was pretty, and the other one is the only photo Natalie has consented for me to show from the boat ride. She cracks me up!
Once the boat ride was over...there was no more avoiding it. It was time to go to the top of the Arch. I am both clausterphobic and nervous in crowds. Labor Day weekend was a swell time to attempt this. But, we were here, so what could I do?
It turned out that by the time it was our turn, I no longer cared. Tristan had spent our entire half-hour in line throwing a fit because he had to ride up in the same tram as his sister. A few park rangers asked if he was scared of the ride. Nope! Just being cooped up with Natalie. He was NOT a happy boy!
He perked up considerably when it was our turn to go up...
(the rest of us just coped as best we could)
Once we got to the top, we were all the best of friends, even Tristan and Natalie
Here is what we saw:
Busch Stadium
The Mississippi
And also that it's good to stay at The Hyatt
As soon as I snapped those pics, I was ready to go back down. The ride and the height weren't bothering me, but the massive crowds were. Sheesh! If it's not one phobia, it's another. Still I'm glad I did it. It was actually fun!
As usual, a big hat-tip to Lotus at Sarcastic Mom for hosting Weekly Winners!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like it was a fun time. That bridge or arch is amazing

Korie said...

Whew, looks like a very busy day.

Anonymous said...

Man you're making me miss St. Louis all over again! I love that place!

I spent our trip to the top of the Arch sitting on the floor rocking back and forth. I looked out the windows a couple of times, but then the wind picked up. The Arch started swaying and I was done for.

And those trams up are the WORST!

Anonymous said...

I have never been there before. I like your pictures of the arch. They are very interesting. However, my favorites are the old bridges. I just love them the best.

Anonymous said...

Those photos looks like a great place! Love the arch with your hand in the side:)Mine is HERE if you have a time! Thanks! Happy WW!

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

I'm loving the first two shots of the Arch! But lovely work all!

Rachel said...

Fantastic pictures! It looks like a wonderful time was had by all.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, and I love reading about the stories behind them. Thanks for sharing!

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

I'll never forget how crunched we were in those little "pods" in the arch! Made me think of Austin Powers somehow.

Looks like you had a fun trip!

Anonymous said...

Great winners w/lots of architecture & adventure :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys had fun! Nice shots. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow. Looks like fun times! I've still never been to St. Louis but have always wanted to visit the arch.

Melessa Gregg said...

Thanks to everyone for the nice compliments on my pictures! I think I've visited all of you now too. Lots of good pictures were taken last week!

Rebecca - I'm a Canon girl! said...

Looks like you had a fun, but long busy day!
Great shots, love the architecture!

Melessa Gregg said...

Rebecca-It was a long and good day! Thanks for visiting.

Texasholly said...

What a fun trip. The pictures of the arch are my favorite. There is just nothing like that arch!

Dayna said...

I'd love to take the family to St. Louis because I love the city, but I don't think you could pay me to get in that elevator again. As a kid, I road the arch elevator a few times, but claustrophobia has gotten worse with age.

Anonymous said...

Sure that you had good time during your trip. My favorite is photo of Mississippi. You should come to Ukraine to visit our museums

Bonnie said...

Ha, I wouldn't go up it!! And as it was at sunset, never even gave it a thought as to whether we could do a river cruise. Guess I was jut too exhausted and emotionally drained to think straight. You did good. Now I want to spend more time in St. Louis.

Anonymous said...

Dude - dioramas, DVD loops, AND animatronic characters? I am so there.

Momisodes said...

Wow! Those are fabulous pics :) I have to say I think the architechture is amazing as well.

I love the shot of you touching the arch!

Melessa Gregg said...

Dayna-It really wasn't that bad-and I am a big baby about things like this.

kompostela-I would love to see bridges in the Ukraine, but the only European country I've seen is Italy.

Bonnie-The cruise was a little over-priced (between you and me), but the kids had seen pics of me on the paddleboat at Lake Tahoe and wanted to do the same thing. It was fun, but I'm not sure we'd do it again without a little more bang for the buck.

Libby-I thought of you as soon as we walked into the museum. (The DVD and dioramas are right at the front!)

Sandy C.-Thanks! I want to go back and see more of the older parts of St. Louis next time just for the architecture. (And just between you and me-that's my daughter's hand on the Arch. Someone had to take the picture...)

Anonymous said...

You went to St. Louis with kids, and you didn't go to the City Museum? The City Museum is like a storybook fantasy come true. Next time skip the Arch and the line of tourists....

Melessa Gregg said...

lauracm-I work at a children's museum here at home and the kids have spent more than their fair share of time at it. So, I wanted a departure. Also, it was a 48 hour trip so we wanted to start with the obvious. We're not that far away and, thanks to my Trader Joe's addiction, we will go again.