About 10 years ago, I reached a point in my life where I felt that I had to decide then and there whether or not I was going to spend the rest of my life espousing church doctrine and encouraging personal change and improvement to all the people that I loved in my life or to spend my life just loving those people for who they were, just as they were and not to hold back that love if what they did or felt or believed was different from me. That rather than to preach religion to anyone, I would let that unconditional love that I shared with others ultimately be the religion that I taught them. Obviously, I chose the latter and I've never regretted it even though it isn't nearly as easy as I just made it sound. I am not perfect, and I'm sure I haven't been at my most loving each and every day since then, but I've done my best to stick with it. Because I feel that way, a lot of things about me have changed in the last decade-and most particularly when it comes time to cast a ballot.
I do not think Barack Obama is our new savior and I know a lot of the promises he made can't possibly come to fruition in the way he very idealistically hopes that they will. I also think that John McCain would have made a wonderful president and wish he could have, for at least four years; held that well-deserved title of "Commander in Chief" that his time in the Hanoi Hilton surely earned him. However, I am relieved that a man who would use air quotes so casually with the words 'health of the mother' and who would choose someone as politically young and unproven as Governor Palin as his second-in-command will not be taking the oath of office in January. (And when I cast my vote, it really did come down to those two issues.) Overall, I am pleased with the outcome of yesterday's national election.
As far as the states go, I am saddened by the passing of Prop 8 in California and similar measures in Arizona and Florida. But I am also sickened by the anti-Mormon ads that were aired in California over the past couple of days which targeted an entire church even though campaigning for Prop 8 was the personal choice of individual members (and not a choice that I EVER would have made). Two wrongs don't make a right people. And speaking of wrongs, you might live in Oklahoma IF...a proven competent and classy man like Jim Roth can lose an election to a relative unknown (Dana Murphy) whose platform might as well have been "Hey! At least I'm straight," while a nut job like Sally Kern can get re-elected handily.
I do not wish to beat the issues of abortion or homosexuality into the ground. There are very compelling arguments to be made on all sides of either issue. They can also be debated to death without any civil resolution which is why I usually eschew mentioning either one on a daily basis here. I have a lot of love and respect for people of a variety of opinions on both subjects. As a result, my vote tends to go towards those officials and towards those laws who leave it to individuals to work such personal matters out for themselves based on the dictates of their own consciences rather than out of fear of social stigma or legal repercussions. My philosophy on both is simple, if I want my rights to live as a white, straight, Latter-Day Saint woman protected by my government; then I must respect the rights of other people of all races, genders, sexual orientation, and religions as well. As I said in the beginning, my job is to love people as they are for who they are or, as Jesus said, 'to love my neighbor as myself.' I am quite happy to leave my Heavenly Father in charge of sorting out the rights and wrongs of such things when we get to the other side. My love for people of all beliefs, lifestyles, and opinions is what guided my vote yesterday, and I hope that someday, loving our neighbors as ourselves will ultimately become what guides us all regardless of what we believe or how we vote. That is all. Thanks for reading.
18 comments:
(In my best Okie Hick accent) "You ain't from around these parts are ya? You just take all that book learnin back where ya come from."
Too bad more people (politicians) don't take a more Libertarian stance and just live and let live. Too many busy bodies and do (doodoo?) gooders are drawn to politics I guess.
And that's why I love you.
sandra
and that's why I read you, too. And am happy that you read me.
have you read this? http://the-exponent.com/2008/11/05/prop-8-fallout-where-do-we-go-from-here/
people like caroline and you and my other friends renew my faith in humanity.
Well said!
Wow. You and I are so similar. Check this out: http://www.becomingsomething.com/2008/10/a-little-video-that-discusses-tolerance-vs-judgement-and-discusses-swearing-as-example.html
and
http://www.becomingsomething.com/2008/10/so-some-of-you.html .
Just a couple of posts that remind me of yours.
Absolutely beautifully said. All of it. I feel like I've learned more about you in this post, and it just makes me like you more.
You are The Awesome. Way to go. (I accidentally typed "Way to God" which I think is not so far off also).
Anon-Funny enough, I was born and bred here. My relatives are SO ashamed...
Sandra-I love you too!
chicory-I'm glad you read me! And while I read Caroline's personal blog, I forget to check in at The Exponent. Thanks for pointing me in that direction and for your thoughtful comments here and there.
Thanks Lonna!
Natasha-We are similar! (I'm flattered to hear you say it, though.) I will check out those posts soon. Like probably just after I post this comment.
Thanks Maggie! I like you more and more too.
Trudy, thanks. You are The Awesome too.
You summed up much of my own beliefs on this matter quite nicely.
I would have seriously voted for McCain in 2000 or 2004--before he changed with this election. I respected his integrity and honesty back then and I saw much of that disappear with this election, but as I learned more about his votes and attitudes on women's issues and with his choice of Palin I totally lost all respect for his judgment.
I often come across photographs that really wow me, but rarely do written words take my breath away.
You have accomplished just that with this eloquently worded, heartfelt post.
I truly adore and admire you.
~J
Ammie-He would have HAD my vote in 2000 or 2004 and I'm still wondering who the 'real' John McCain is. At least he exited last night with class and dignity.
Jen B-I admire and adore you too, Babe! Thanks for your kind comment.
nicely written, melessa! you should be proud!
EXACTLY! I couldn't have said it better myself! I'm a "live and let live" individual and figure that it's not up to lil' ol' me, to figure out what's right for other people.
Leeann and Alison-Thank you! I really needed to read those comments this morning.
Well said! I have yet to type out my thoughts. I don't blame you for being proud, it's hard to express yourself well, and THEN post it on the internet for all to read. Lotsa love for the Okie. ;)
Did my last comment not make the cut?
Pixie-I usually don't mind putting myself out there, but I spent a lot of time on what I wrote yesterday and I did feel more vulnerable than usual with what I posted, thanks for noticing what went into it and for appreciating it. I know we were of two very different opinions in the last few months.
well stated. wish more felt the same way!
Post a Comment