Thursday, January 01, 2009

A Contradiction in Terms

I've been doing a lot of pondering today, and I think that's what I am. Just one big walking contradiction. In the recent past, I've been furious over my church's involvement in Proposition 8 in California; but equally outraged that many Prop 8 opponents have opted to harass temple workers with pointless white powder mailings and occasional physical violence (most temple workers are retired senior citizens, by the way); not to mention vandalism rather than through the appropriate (and, on my part, encouraged) peaceful protesting. (Yes, there has been that too, and I'm heavily in favor of it. But to me, vandalism and bullying are junior high behaviors no matter how frustrating the situation is-and I agree that it IS frustrating.) Because I still feel that Proposition 8 violates the "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" part of the Constitution, I will continue to oppose it. But seeing pictures of spray-painted temples and hearing stories about protesters being physically rough with the senior citizens who work in them have certainly given me much pause to re-think my stance in the last several weeks.

In a related scenario, I am furious at Focus on the Families decision to cave to the pressure of moronic Christian fundamentalist groups and yank a rather inspiring interview with Glenn Beck off of their website. My husband finds my indignation funny because he knows darn well that I'm not a fan of Glenn Beck, dislike Fox News, and will probably never read The Christmas Sweater. But I'm still angry. I find it funny how Focus on the Family wasn't above pooling their resources with the Latter Day Saints (which, according to the protesters, was quite a bit of money and a huge pool of volunteer workers) in order to get Prop 8 passed. But, when it comes to being treated as equals in the Christian community? Not so much. I also think it's worth noting here that it was the Catholic church who was first to rush to our defense in the state of California. Why? Because Catholics have many more centuries thean Latter-Day Saints under their belts when it comes to having their beliefs distorted and their faith mocked by mainstream Christianity. And while, again, I completely disagree with their reasons AND their coalition, I do thank the California Catholic community for having our backs-and I'm not at all surprised they were the first to rush to our defense. I know many amazing people of that religious persuasion and learned a great respect for that religion while serving a mission for my church in Italy. Which is probably not what my church intended when they sent me to Italy as a missionary, but again, I am just one big walking contradiction.

There are many other contradictions I could write about at length, but I'll spare you (for this entry anyway) the details and summarize them like this:

  • I'm pro-choice, but I could never have an abortion (granted as a 36 year-old who is married with health insurance and high school and college behind me-it's an easy call for me to make)
  • I don't support organized prayer in school, but I hold an organized prayer with my children every morning before we leave the driveway
  • I oppose the death penalty, but I believe in the Book of Mormon which endorses it
  • I abstain from drugs and alcohol as per my religious beliefs, but I love being with my very Irish family and laugh at their liquored-up antics.
  • In fact, I love my fairly pagan family and friends and all of their so-called imperfections. I love being with them and I know (in ways that I will never know from acquaintances at church) that they love me unconditionally as well.
OK, there was no real contradiction in that last one and I'm running out of steam, so it's time to end this. And what better way to end it than with The West Wing quote that inspired it in the first place:

Josh Lyman: In the mean time, remember pluralism. You want to get these people? I mean, you really want to reach in and kill them where they live? Keep accepting more than one idea. Makes them absolutely crazy.

-taken from "Isaac and Ishmael," their Season 3 premiere filmed in just two weeks as a response to the 9/11 terrorist attacks. It was good advice in 2001 and I pray it continues to be so in 2009.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heathen? Check.

Love you unconditionally? Check.

Happy New Year, sweetie. It just tickles me so much to see you enjoying the West Wing.

Unknown said...

stoppin by from blogoklahoma to say hi

Anonymous said...

Even if I'm standing in some different shoes, I feel much the same way. I just want what's right and fair and compassionate and not hateful, and a lot of that crosses constructs like party lines or religious views. Your contractions are one of my favorite things about coming here. You keep it interesting and real.

Anonymous said...

I keep wondering if it's weird or embarrassing that quotes from WW make me, quite literally, cry when I watch. But the thing is, I don't really care.

All of us are full of contradictions; the braver of us admit it to ourselves. And the bravest admit it to others.

sandra

Anonymous said...

The West Wing is the best show of all time. I never missed a single episode, ever! I was sooo sad when it ended. I *loved* those characters, and of course the incredible dialogue. I cheered when the show or actors won at award shows, and normally I don't care who wins. :-)

Jen

Melessa Gregg said...

Libby-Right back at ya, Babe! And The West Wing is THE best. I feel silly for not discovering it sooner than now.

Georgie-Thanks! I'll come visit you too.

Maggie-"right and fair, compassionate, and not hateful"

That's it in a nutshell.

Sandra-West Wing makes me tear up at least once per episode. Thanks for all the years of recommending it. I wouldn't have even bothered with the syndicated episodes without your recommendation.

Jen-I remember all the wins, but it kills me that I didn't know why I should be cheering for them. Oh well. At least now I can watch it one DVD after another with no waiting.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that this was Dave's gift to you. Just love.

sandra

Unknown said...

Nothing wrong with some contradictions as long as there's no hypocrisy.

Josh Lyman? I'm feeling a bit of lust in my heart.

Melessa Gregg said...

Sandra-Actually, for all the disinterest Dave feigns in watching "that liberal propaganda show" (aka West Wing) he NEVER misses an episode and going out and buying all the seasons was completely his idea. One of the episodes we watched recently did spark the following amusing exchange:

Dave: Man! The characters on this show are SO arrogant! Typical Democrats!
Me: Yeah, because we don't know ANY arrogant Republicans...

Anne-I'm glad you don't think I'm a hypocrite. And how can you watch WW and NOT fall in love with Josh Lyman.