Wednesday, January 28, 2009

This is One Small Town

When I was a kid, Soonerville really was a small town. But it has since ballooned to a population of almost 100,000. And yet, so many small town elements still remain here. Earlier this morning, I checked the liveblog of a local news station for road condition updates. Instead, I noted with some chagrin that a high speed chase had come to an end at a local RV dealership about a mile from my house and that two of the three suspects were still at large. While I wasn't really all that worried about them getting up and down the two icy hills leading to my house (not to mention managing to get past my frozen driveway and overly friendly dog), I did monitor the situation closely as did my friend Wendy who lives on the other side of the highway. We chatted and joked about back and forth about it via Facebook all morning. Then, I clicked on the local ABC affiliate to watch the news mostly because the news is followed by All My Children. (There are some things you just never outgrow.) And that's when they dropped the name of one of suspects. And Wendy and I (and many of our other friends) definitely know him. Of course we do. It's Soonerville. And also, it's kind of funny. But probably because I wasn't the one who got tazed in a trailer today after stealing a truck and fleeing from the police. Or maybe that was funny too. At least until the tazer got involved. Oh well, never a dull moment. Right?

*Edited to add that, yeah, that's him. Sad.*

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw that on the news this morning and thought the name sounded familiar. While I have heard more about that butt from you all more times than I can count, I cannot comment on its desirability. That gal he was picked up with sure is a looker though.

Anonymous said...

Nevermind. I thought I recognized the bald dudes name when they talked on the radio this morning. But you are talking about the other guy. But I do remember something about a butt in past conversations, but I generally tune them out, and the gal still is rocking the meth chic 100%!!!

Christina said...

The name soulds slightly famlilar but I don't remember him. There are other butts that i remember fondly though.. Or is that fondle-y.

I'll pass on the mug-shot pic that hubby sent me. He doesn't really ring any bells for me.

Wendles said...

Hey Chris - maybe this will ring some bells...
*singing* Tra-La-Dah-Boom-Dee-A. We hate our DeMolays. Except for BJ Hale. That Guy Will Never Fail!

Christina said...

Did we jinx him? I'd sure count him as a fail now.

Melessa Gregg said...

Anon-Apparently, it was other butts you were hearing about, but he did once have a good one. I'm hoping for his sake that isn't true anymore. I hear they like those in 'the big house.' And yes, the gal is QUITE the looker.

Chris-Yup! FAIL!

Wendy-So I'm not the only one singing that song to myself today?

Sistahood said...

Sometimes it makes me shudder to watch the local news. Having grown up in a college town, I've spent my life trying to "educate" others about Oklahoma - we aren't all toothless, trailer park- dwelling bums.

And then something like this happens.

Someday, someone that I have grown up with is bound to make the news doing something equally as absurd.

P.S. I've been catching up on my blog reading and I stumbled across your pregnancy announcement post. You are too sweet. Who ever thought we would someday have kids the same age? And - not to shock you too much - Soren's wife is having a baby in June :)

Anonymous said...

Soonerville makes me think of Hooterville, remember the show Green Acres? Small towns are fun, I spent eight years in a town of 14,000 and six in a town of 2500. Good times. :-)

Love,
Jen

Jennifer said...

OMG!!! I'm sorry, that's just too funny but it was sad until Wendy sang the song!
Well, I guess just having a good butt and being hot when your 16 doesn't always take you far in life!
You'd think it would though....

Lanie said...

Wow... he is very scary at 37... and we were all bummed that he never paid any attention to us... small blessings are the best.

Melessa Gregg said...

Sistahood-Thanks for stopping by! Once I got over the shock of Travis Tucker becoming a dad, I guessed it wouldn't be too long before it happened to more of you. Actually, I had both Aaron and Amy Zimbleman in my class too-and judging from their mother's Facebook profile pic, at least one of them is a parent now too. So, I'm OK with Soren becoming a dad. Amused that I will have a baby slightly younger than at least three of my former Sunday school students, but OK with all of it just the same.

Melessa Gregg said...

Jen-I think we were at about 25,000 when I was a kid. Then OU expanded, they built a Hitachi plant, got in a lot of retail stores, and a lot of people in OKC got comfortable with the idea of a commute from here. I wouldn't be surprised if we were at 100,000 now.

Jennifer-Yes, it's a pretty good combo of sad and funny. And I guess a cute face and good butt don't get you everywhere in life. They did (in my opinion) get him only probation about 4 years ago, but now that he's violated that...oops!

Lanie-Yes, I am SO glad he never realized I was alive back then. My later teen years had enough drama as it was.