Right after the election, I wrote about a couple who came and spoke at church and how annoyed I was that they basically said the end of the world couldn't be too far away if someone like Barack Obama coul d be elected President. I wasn't sure if they meant that because he was a Democrat or because he was African-American, but either way I was highly offended by both of their opening remarks and can't tell you a word of what their actual messages were for that Sunday.
They were back today. This morning was stressful. Caroline was sick and because I had to teach Relief Society today (the church's women's organization), Dave had to stay home with her. Everyone got up late, I knew I wouldn't have his help with the kids at church; and I was half-tempted just to stay at home and drive up only for the hour that I had to teach my lesson instead of going for the church service and Sunday school as well. However, I'm trying to teach my kids that doing things halfway is NOT the way you should live your life, so I hauled myself, my newborn, and two of my daughters out the door first thing this morning. The baby was hungry as soon as we arrived. I had to skip taking the Sacrament to feed her AND leave Natalie and Elisa completely unattended in the church building while I went to the building next door where we've concluded that I can nurse unoffensively. Needless to say, seeing the wife speaking as I re-entered the building (and knowing her husband would follow with his own remarks) did NOT soothe my soul or make me glad I hadn't stuck with the "just come by yourself later and teach your lesson" plan.
And yet, as I settled in and listened to both of them, their presentations today were very good. Ultimately, I did feel inspired as the church service came to a close. (No one was more surprised than me.) So basically, this couple does have good messages when they come to visit as long as they leave their politics and personal biases at the door. Isn't that true of all of us? I'm going to work harder at making sure that's true for me. Lesson learned. It was a good Sunday. And I'm glad we were there for all of it.
2 comments:
What? You have to nurse in a whole other building just so no one is offended that your infant needed nourishment? That infuriates me! People need to get over that breasts are not just for fulfilling others sexual gratifications, but were also created by Heavenly Father to give children complete nourishment. And this comes from a mother of three who decided to bottle feed all three of her children.
As for the couple speaking in your ward: Bless Their Hearts.
dang it!! I was all psyched up to hear something juicy. but, oh why did you have to end it on a good note!! LOL. you are BRAVE to go by yourself...and I hope someone helped you out while you taught RS. wish I could be there for your lessons. and what do you mean by "a place we've concluded you can nurse unoffensively?" PLEASE tell me someone did NOT tell you that you could not nurse in sac mtg. please tell me that's not what you meant!!
Post a Comment