Monday, February 08, 2010

Another Bridesmaid Dress and a Baptism Story

For the past four years, it has been my honor to be nominated for an Okie Blogger Award. For the past four years, it has also been my my privilege (and my misfortune) to be nominated in a group of such talented writers that I really don't have a shot at winning. That is true again this year, but I couldn't be more humbled when I see my name listed among the likes of Kellyology, Miss Wisabus, Georgie @ Decisionally Challenged, Megan @ Sorta Crunchy, and a little blog you just *might* have seen called Rocks In My Dryer. We are among those nominated for Best Family Blog.  And even though I am quite sure this will not be my year either, I am going to beg ask politely for all of my Okie blogging friends out there to vote for me. (Unless you are nominated against me, of course.) After being a runner-up for four years, I would really like to win this year. Even though with all of the new baby craziness, I don't think this has been my best year for writing.

I do find it nice that the 'Best Family' nod comes on the heels of a very good weekend for my family. A weekend that leads me to believe I just might be doing something right as a parent. Our sweet Caroline was baptized yesterday. It's hard to know what to write to convey how wonderful that was without rambling, but I will try...

First, there were the testimonies. The first Sunday of each month, rather than having assigned speakers; the pulpit at our church is left open to anyone wishing to speak about their feelings for Our Savior, and what they have learned from His teachings in the past month. Some people do this, others ramble, some reveal WAY too much about themselves; and kids usually do all of the above when they get the courage to approach the microphone. Apparently, while I was in the other building nursing the baby, two of my girls felt inspired to speak. I missed Caroline's turn, but got back in time to hear Natalie. Natalie's testimony was a little detailed, as anything Natalie says is wont to be; but it was eloquent and still to the point. I am told Caroline's was the same. I am glad. This is not only because they didn't tell stories about me that I don't think our entire congregation needs to know, but also because they are learning to love the Lord and not to be afraid to tell others how they feel about Him. That's something I need to do a little more often myself and I'm pleased that my girls wanted to share those feelings with their church family. Even if I missed part of it.

Then, there was the baptism itself. Caroline knew it was her big day and had a smile on her face all day long. I was pleased when so many of our friends from church stayed to see it. I know they could have just as easily gone home and gone about the rest of their day. But they stayed. And then there were my wonderful friends Tracy (pregnant with child number six) and Danielle (mother of eight) who drove up to Blanchard after driving earlier that morning to Noble from Norman and back for their church services, just to be there for us that afternoon. They have done that for each one of my children's baptism. I love them both for that, among other reasons. In addition to those who make up my church family, there was my actual family whose religious beliefs vary widely, but who come together to support each other. This includes my sister's former mother-in-law who is still in our lives (much to my children's relief) and made sure my youngest nieces were there for Caroline since Caroline was at their baptism into the Catholic church last month. (I can't believe I haven't blogged about that. I should have. It was wonderful and equally as touching as yesterday.)

My mother and sister and nephews got there just in time to see Caroline's dad baptize her. She came out of the water and announced she wasn't leaving the font until someone brought her a towel. Somehow, Natalie and I convinced her to come up the stairs. I dried her and dressed her and as we were doing that, a little girl came into the Ladies' room. When she saw the water trail leading from the door to the font to where we were standing she said "Uh oh! You're gonna be in trouble for that mess!" So cute!

Once Caroline was dressed, we returned to the chapel so that my children could perform their much-anticipated musical number. Except, Tristan (already smarting because the day wasn't all about him) had gone and hidden himself because he didn't want to sing. I knew how long that battle could become, so I thought we would just go on without him. Some of the older boys (who I have known since they were younger than Tristan) disagreed and dislodged him from his hiding spot. So he sang with his sisters. His arms were crossed and he had a big scowl on his face, but he did it. I have loved the song they sang ("A Child's Prayer") and dreamed of my kids someday singing it at a baptism since I saw a family of six do the same for their 8 year-old sibling while I was on my mission. As many times as I pictured it, I never pictured Tristan looking so put-out. There were a lot of tears in my eyes as I led their music, and I'm not sure which ones came from laughing and which ones came from crying. I was doing both.

Following the song, Caroline was confirmed by her Dad and we closed without further incident from Tristan who had made a coat out of his tent that he crawled in backwards. I just let it go. I didn't get to hug and thank nearly as many people as I wanted after the baptism was over, but I was blown away by how many of our family and friends from all walks of life and from many other faiths were represented there that day. The love in that building was palpable and not just for me (and not just because it was my daughter's baptism). I left the church parking lot on Cloud 9.

The impromptu party held at my grandmother's house afterwards was just as wonderful. Although our faiths vary everyone had positive things to say about different parts of the service. My other grandparents made a surprise visit from Tulsa (the first time we had seen them since Thanksgiving). My sister's boyfriend came over with his children, my oldest niece put off spending time with her boyfriend to be with us, and other people who have been important to Caroline throughout her life were in and out all evening. All in all, it was a wonderful day that led me to believe in the power and love of family, both by those who share our DNA and those who share our spirit. As any of you who have read this for any period of time know, that doesn't happen very often for me. Does it for anyone? I'm not sure. And so, I'm grateful for my family both related and otherwise and I'm thankful for my blog's nomination. And if you got through all of this, thank you for reading!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You made me cry (again today). It was wonderful to be included. It all comes back to how much heart You always had, for your own family and your chosen family too. Your children learn from the best... warts and all (NO you don't have warts, just a comment on the speed bumps that all families have :) Glad to be part of the tribe of Melessa.

Tracy said...

You are awesome, M!

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

What a beautiful Sunday! I feel all warm and fuzzy just reading about it. Such a wonderful way to celebrate family and faith. I love the idea of leaving the pulpit open for others to testify to the movement of God's Hand.

Congrats on your nomination!

Unknown said...

Hi Melessa good to know the whole day went off smoothly, it sounded like a fun day too.

And congrats on your nomination, I'm delighted for you. I also know how you feel lol, I stand no chance against the PW! But you can count on me, as yours is the one I read regularly from the nominees.

Anne said...

I'm glad the baptism day turned out wonderfully! I was there in spirit, if not in body. Sounds like I missed a great day.

Melessa Gregg said...

Thanks to all of you for the kind words and congratulations!