I tried to get ready to check-out as quickly as possible, but with seven kids in the mix, a flat tire for my husband and father to change, and my grandmother along for the ride too; "quick" is a relative term. In the blur of 'let's get packed' a couple of things stand out: First, while I agreed whole-heartedly about the concept of a Heavenly bed, I was a little amused at the Westin's claim to also have Heavenly towels. And then I used one. Wow! Second, I think the quote of the day was one from me to my mom after she had spent the morning delighting in pointing out all the things my kids were doing/not doing that I needed to take care of ASAP. As in "Melessa! The girls' hair still hasn't been combed, or did you want them to look like that the first time they meet Michele?" "Melessa! Do you think you are going to be able to get all the way home on that spare tire?" And then...I spotted something that needed HER immediate attention. "Umm, Mom?! You know the applesauce Grandma uses to take her pills after she's ground them up? Well, I see the eaten applesauce container, but her pills are sitting intact right next to it. You're going to have to work that one out with her." (Grandma does not swallow pills and hates to be told she "forgot" something. I would much rather comb hair and drive home on a spare tire. I handed the pills to mom, grabbed some suitcases, and made a break for the parking garage.)
Apparently, Grandma took her meds, the cars got loaded, and the kids' passed inspection. We were off to meet Michele! She and I decided to meet at IKEA because I love it and she had never been there. My parents beat us to the store entrance, and when I went inside, there she was! I would have known her anywhere, but I was thrilled to see how much her little boy looked like her. The plan was to eat some lunch, visit for awhile we shopped, and then I had to get my kids back to school since they no longer had President's Day off from school. I had so much fun seeing her and getting caught up (not to mention introducing her to the marvels of IKEA) that I made it out of there for under $20. Though shipping costs are making me regret that I didn't buy the $20 high chair I was looking at while I was there. It's another $20 to get it here and I just can't do it.
The drive home was quiet and traffic-free. The kids slept most of the way and woke only when we stopped for snacks at the fried pie place in Davis. (Which is a dangerously short drive from here if I ever get a serious fried pie craving.) Sunday was such a great day that it made up for the crazy Saturday night traffic. And between Caroline's party and seeing Michele, I'd say the overall trip was worth it. I'm committed to going back to see Michele again sometime in June and I'm already happy about the trip. BUT, I promise that this time I'm checking the calendar for All-Star events first.
No comments:
Post a Comment