Tuesday, May 04, 2010

My Brief Take on Having Another Birthday

I turned 38 on Saturday. The blog hasn't seen a lot of activity because not only was I doing my usual 'mom of 5' routine, but I was also preparing for a quick trip. I hadn't seen my good friend Anne in quite some time, and I have really been missing her. Travelocity.com is set to always notify me when flights to Phoenix are cheap and this one was amazingly low-priced, so that was my birthday present to myself. I left Saturday morning, got to attend church in the same place I was baptized, and was back on the plane this afternoon.

A much longer post on turning 38 is in the offing, but until I can get it written; the gist of it is this:
Many of us spend our 20's* figuring out how to be an adult and make mistakes right and left in the learning process. Then, we spend our 30's trying to figure out and fix the damage we did in our 20's. If we succeed at it, does that mean we spend our 40's and beyond just enjoying the ride? Fingers crossed...



*I realize not everyone had the special talent I did for messing things up in their 20's. But I definitely did!

4 comments:

CGHill said...

I retained my talent for messing things up well into my thirties; I don't think I really got a grip on things until 50 or so.

I do hope, though, that there's enough of a ride left to enjoy.

Nikki said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

Anne said...

I certainly hope the 40s are all (or even mostly) about enjoying the ride, because I'm REALLY ready for that phase to begin!

Cindy said...

Hi. My life didn't totally smooth out until my mid-30's. Every year since has been better. I believe we become more accepting of ourselves as we age. The 40's are when I really relaxed. I've just started the 50's and am having a lot of fun. You have much to look forward to!