Sunday, May 16, 2010

Week In Review

Does anyone remember these? I used to write one every Sunday. Now that my little one is almost a year-old, life seems to have resumed it's usual rhyme and reason and I'm going to try and resume writing these. Blogging more than once a week is also a goal, we'll see how that goes. Anyway...

Reading


Pure Pleasure: Why Do Christians Feel So Bad about Feeling Good? by Gary Thomas


This was one of those free Kindle downloads on Amazon.com. I started reading it on the 2.5 hour plane ride from Houston to Phoenix because Alexis had fallen asleep on my lap and I didn't have any other entertainment within arm's reach. It's taken me a few weeks to finish it, but I have to say I LOVED its message even though Mr. Thomas would get many tsk tsks from my church friends for being such a fan of Starbucks coffee. The point made throughout this book is that God WANTS us to find joy in our earthly lives without feeling guilty about it, and it is illustrated through countless examples that made me smile, laugh, and nod my head in fervent agreement. One of the many reasons I'm going through a bit of spiritual malaise lately is because I know I am missing that joy I first knew upon understanding what it truly means to be saved. It's not that my church doesn't believe in that joy and doesn't preach it, I just can't find it right now. Don't worry, I'm still looking. This book reminded me a lot of Chieko Okazaki's Lighten Up! and I can't give it higher praise than that.

Watching


Gary England-

No, he's not some new talk show host. He's my favorite weather forecaster in the Metro area. This is tornado season here in the great state of Oklahoma and Gary (and his storm chasers) have been very busy this month, and this week in particular. I am watching some particularly nasty storms passing through the area where my good friend Lanie lives as I type this. (Hope you, Dirk, and the doggies are safe; Lanie!) And it will likely pass from there to where my Dad and Aunt M are shortly after that (In fact, it's there now. Yikes!). So we aren't changing the channel any time soon. At the time of Monday's tornado outbreak (which was very scary even though we were never in all that much danger), I didn't care so much about missing The Big Bang Theory. But at this point if anyone wants to tell me what happened, it turns out I'm kind of curious now. (I know, I know; I can probably watch it online.)

Glee-


I started DVR'ing these after hearing good things about the show. I missed the first month and was DETERMINED not to start watching it until I had ALL the episodes taped. However, once Natalie heard there was a show about teens singing show tunes AND she found it in the "My Recordings" menu, there was no denying her. So, we started watching them out of the proper order a couple of weeks ago. (If you knew how unheard of that was for me, you would be stunned I allowed it to happen-but Natalie is a force to be reckoned with when it comes to her show tunes.) Thanks to yesterday's DVD purchase, we are now officially caught up on the show. And, more importantly, we LOVE it!

Grey's Anatomy-


Last week's episode reminded me why I still love this show despite all its behind-the scene ups and downs. I have to admit that next week's 'shooter on the loose in the hospital' plot makes me a little nervous in a shark-jumping kind of way. Here's hoping I'm wrong...And you know I will watch it anyway, so does it matter if I'm right?

Out and About-


Cirque Dreams-


Truth be told, we saw this a week ago yesterday. But I enjoyed it enough that it is worth mentioning even now. It's my favorite of the Cirque shows that I've seen (but keep in mind that I've only seen 2).

Unnamed Middle School Band/Choir concert-


There was a lot of trepidation about this because Miss Natalie auditioned successfully for a solo only to catch a cold in time for the show. I was nervous for her, but she rested her voice all day and nailed it perfectly. I was impressed with all the grades and their performances and enjoyed the concert. I thought this was going to be the last performance/recital of the year, but we have the Academic Awards reception tomorrow. How many days until school is out again?

That's all for this week! Thanks for reading!



4 comments:

Gary England said...

Hey Melissa.. It's almost Monday in the Big Town...
Jump Back..
Gary England

Okie Rednecks said...

I love GLEE and keep telling my husband that I am wanting it for any occasion that he would like to get it for me! I have always like that kind of show and I have gotten so much worse now. Glad you found and and love it!

Anne said...

People (mainly my husband) attempt to mock me for being so anal about only watching TV shows in order, beginning with the first episode (essential!), but I continue to stubbornly insist on it. I also refused to watch any episodes of Glee until the DVDs came out and I was able to watch them as nature intended. I, also, am totally hooked (although I often fast-forward through the musical numbers - does that make any sense?).

Melessa Gregg said...

Dear Gary-So you will leave comments on my blog but not accept my friend requests on FB? It guess it's tough to be a God in Oklahoma. Doesn't matter-you are still THE weather man for this family.

A & A-I went out and bought the DVD myself knowing Dave would never bother with it-not even for Christmas. Anne, I kind of understnad the skipping musical numbers thing, but Natalie would never go for it.