Sunday, June 06, 2010

Week In Review

Reading-


Percy Jackson & The Olympians Book One: The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan-


We are about halfway through the first book now. As a Classics major, I am LOVING it. As a kid who never quite fits in, Tristan loves this book. As two very smart girls trying to help their brother make sense of his world; Natalie and Caroline love this book. Elisa is interested on and off while I read, but she also just turned 6. She has time. Regardless, this is a great family reading time book.

Little Bo by Julie Andrews-


We finished this a few days ago. This held Elisa's interest much better and it was a very sweet little book. I recommend it for little girls. As soon as Amazon.com ships them, we are going to pick up where we left off a few summers ago with the Tomie DePaola Fairmount Street series. I'll be sure and review it all here.

Almost Our Time: Generation X Takes on America's Challenges by Rob Stam


I rarely read non-fiction, but this was worth my time. It's a very honest take on things my generation needs to do to 'fix' America as we take over from the Baby Boomers. I thought it had good, sound advice. I have the Amazon Kindle reader app on my iPhone and ordered this as an eBook for $0.99. It is worth more than that and I highly recommend it for anyone interested in economics and politics who haven't already make their mind up completely about either.

Watching


Glee-


I can't believe it's almost the end of the season. Wah! I can't wait to see what Tuesday night has in store for us. I think the best parts of last week's episode for me were "I love me some trophies" for the laugh factor and "You're not mad, you're hurt" for the "aww!" factor.

At the Movies


Sex and the City 2


No, it wasn't as good as the first one. Yes, I liked it. Liza's cameo was by far my favorite thing, but it had other moments too. Then again, I went to see this with Chris, Lanie, and Wendy; and I could probably watch paint dry with them and think it's a good time just because we're together. So here's to friends you could enjoy anything with! Here's to Diet Dr. Pepper toasts between Wendy and I as moms who DON'T have nannies, and here's to spending as long chatting in the parking lot as you did watching the entire movie. Good times!


Extracurricular Activities-


Grand Assembly 2010-


I've already blogged about this, but it really was an Alice in Wonderland experience to see everything I used to do as a teen through the eyes of an adult. I half-expected Johnny Depp to tell me I had lost my "muchness," except that I can feel my 'muchness' returning a little bit more each day. It's definitely NOT gone. :)

Elisa's Birthday-


Since she and one of my nieces have birthdays within a week of each other we threw a joint party in my sister's backyard. Then again, between my kids, my sisters' kids, and my sister's boyfriend's kids; it's a party before we even send out invitations. It was a lot of fun and a lot of chaos and, frankly, I'm glad it's over. The next birthday for us will be Alexis 1st in August. Wah!

Next week is shaping up to be crazy/busy too...stay tuned for more updates!

1 comment:

kate said...

Oh, I loved the Percy Jackson books! The film really didn't do the book justice though. Anyway, I've got them all and am saving them for when my oldest is ready for them.