Tuesday, August 03, 2010

A Couple of Reviews

Once upon a time I had reliable Internet and posted regular reviews of books I was reading and movies and tv shows I had watched throughout the week. Now I have an aircard that works when it feels like it. But I am still reading and watching and still feel the need to share, so here goes:

Movies:


Letters to Juliet-


I lived in Verona for 5 of the 16 months I spent in Italy. It was my first city and where I learned to love that country. I also spent 4 months in Tuscany. Even if the plot and acting of this movie had been lame, the setting alone would have been enough for me. Fortunately, I loved the movie too! It's not an Academy Award winner by any stretch, but it's adorable with a lot of nice eye candy. I saw it at the dollar theatre and I may have to do it again before it leaves. Also, I WILL be buying it on DVD.

Books:


The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan-


This is the 3rd book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I had to leave it locked in my car at the Tulsa Airport to keep the kids from reading ahead while I was gone. I am not too fond of the lack o Annabeth in this book, but since I'm now previewing Book 4, I know we will see plenty of her in the future. Otherwise, the kids and I are really enjoying our time reading together.

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson-


One of my good friends has been recommending this to me for years. This weekend, I finally read it while on vacation with her, it was in our rental's library. It's interesting to read a book about hiking for months, when you are resting up after hiking for just a couple of hours; and I think it added to the experience. I really liked the book and would have to recommend it to anyone who enjoys the great outdoors-and is over the age of 18, some of Bill and Katz's misadventures verge on PG-13 as does the language. Still, I'm tempted to run to Hasting's later tonight and see if I can find a used copy so I can re-read this later since I obviously had to leave the one I read on its shelf in the cabin.

No comments: