Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"...the place will only be bearable for a mother now"*

Let the title warn you that this post is made up of nothing but shameless Mommy-bragging tonight. Wasn't that the whole reason I started the thing in the first place? Also, can anyone name the Ibsen play I took that quote from? It's one of my all-time favorites. But not one of its more famous quotes.

Anyway, back to bragging! Last week, Natalie was a bit under the weather and I let her stay with Alexis at Mom's house while I was at work. Like an idiot, I forgot to call the school and both Dave and I got the dreaded "unexcused absence" phone calls on our respective drives home. He called the school back and cleared things up, but I never trust that. When a big envelope from Natalie's school showed up in today's mail, I thought it meant I would be making another phone call explaining that my daughter had indeed been home sick and that I hadn't remembered to call them and that I was oh-so-sorry, but could we please excuse this absence for once and for all? Only that's not what the letter was about at all. Instead, it was a letter to inform us that Natalie had qualified for the Duke University Talent Identification program! I've provided a link for those of you who are unfamiliar, but back when I was in middle school this was a big deal. One of my good friends made the cut, but I remember how bad it felt when I DIDN'T, so I am over the moon that Natalie did. Whether or not she makes it into the summer program is a whole different story, but I am so excited that she even qualified to take the test (ACT or SAT) and she is excited too. I've never understood why my mom is always so defensive and threatened when I accomplish something in my life that she hasn't yet managed in hers, because I couldn't be more excited and proud of my daughter. (And therein lies one of the many differences between us.)

And along the lines of "smart kids" Alexis already has a huge vocabulary that unfortunately includes the words "no" and "mine," but also includes counting to three and saying "Happy Birthday" to her Papa Lawson today. And she is only 13 months-old!

And so that I don't leave out the other kids, Tristan just started the viola and was selected for the advanced 5th grade Enrichment Choir, which only uses 15% of all the 5th graders in the school and is hand-picked by the music teacher. My musician! (Did I mention I once dated someone I didn't really click with for about four months longer than I should have because he played the piano so beautifully?) Caroline sat down and wrote out a play last night in about an hour, and Elisa is reading way ahead of the rest of her class (just like all her siblings did in the 1st grade). So it's official, I'm raising a houseful of musically-talented freakin' geniuses! Oh and they're all beautiful too!

Aren't you sorry I don't 'mommy blog' more often? I'll take that as a "no." ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Natalie! I was accepted to something similar (or it may have been the same thing). I wish that I had done it.

Alexis is already counting... how cute! I wonder if... nevermind, I won't go there. But it sure would be great to share with certain people! If I can fit it into a conversation, I will mention it.

Congrats on such great and accomplished kids!

Lanie

Melessa Gregg said...

I thought you would have to have qualified for Duke or something like it, though you weren't the friend I was referring to-I kind of lost touch with her when Rainbow came into my life. I would love to chat regularly with her now, but back then with my mother constantly comparing us; it was kind of a boost to my self-esteem to go in a different direction. Anyway, glad I could throw you a bone with my counting baby. It is seriously cute when she does it, and here in the Comment section, I just might admit that it's really just copying us. Shh! It's still adorable.