Without naming names, I could really do without people who are entitled and/or self-righteous. And while I'm on the subject, people who think I need them as my own personal life coach could go too. (What can I say? Interacting with the public at my job on a daily basis has made me quite the cynic.)
The Cider House Rules by John Irving. I didn't care much for the movie adaptation, but the book changed my political views forever. Which segues nicely for the next entry...
Before you cringe in anticipation of the diatribe, have no fear. All I have to say here and now is that I'm for it. I'm done debating it. I'm sick of hearing "civil unions-fine, but marriage-NO!" Maybe it's because I live in a state with one of the highest divorce rates in the country, maybe it's because I have so many wonderful gay people in my life; but I have seen some pretty serious marital travesties between a man and a woman and I don't think the gay population could screw up the fine institution of marriage any more than their straight counterparts already have. Make no mistake, I don't think any church should be compelled to perform such a ceremony if it goes against their doctrine; I just don't think any church has the right to take their doctrine and turn it into federal law. (Even when that church happens to be my church.) And it's not just about gay marriage for me, it's about any law that would compel the American population to abide by the tenants of any particular religion. I have serious issues with crossing the line between church and state. Didn't we come to America to avoid that in the first place? (OK, so there was a small diatribe there. Sorry.)
I think I may have covered this somewhat in my last answer, but I am grateful for the chance to elaborate. A lot of people think that my aversion to mixing religion and politics reflects some kind of shortfall in my own beliefs. A lot of people are ignorant. Long-time readers of this blog know that when I was 20 years old, I defied the wishes of my family and sacrificed some very good friendships to join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Two years later, I gave up 18 months of my life and the remainder of my college savings to serve a mission in Italy. Have you ever tried being a Mormon missionary in Catholic Italy? To call it "character building" is an incredibly hollow understatement, but we'll go with it anyway. Maybe "character defining" works better?
Upon returning home, I fell in love with a non-Mormon who I felt would make a wonderful husband and I absolutely refused to marry him until he joined the church. Since then, I have spent my marriage devoted to teaching the gospel not only to our 5 children, but to him as well. I have no parenting precedent for raising my children to be faithful in any church as my parents didn't use religion while raising me or my sisters, but I have persisted for almost 14 years now making sure my kids attend church, say prayers, read their scriptures, and participate in Family Home Evenings. Do I do this perfectly or even conventionally? Probably not. But I do it, and that counts. There are no shortcomings in my commitment to the church just as there are none in my belief in God, my Savior, and all the other things that fall into place as a result of believing in the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost and I would not still be active in a very demanding and encompassing religious faith if I were not 100% committed to it. I do what I do out of love and devotion because there is NO ONE in my life or my husband's who would object if we gave it up-in fact, I think they might throw a party.
The difference that seems to get me into trouble is that I find these things so intensely sacred and so intensely personal that I would never think of imposing them on others. I acknowledge their sacredness to me while also acknowledging that others' beliefs and lifestyles are equally sacred to them. That does not mean that I do not share my personal beliefs when I am asked about them. As I mentioned above, I shared them daily as a full-time missionary. However, I would never presume that MY way is the ONLY way. I respect the individual thoughts, beliefs, opinions, and lifestyles of others far too much to ever presume that just because I am doing what is right for me, that what they are doing is wrong just because it's different from the way I would do it. And because I respect those differences, I would never vote in a way that precludes them from living their life; just as I hope they would do the same for me. Religion is personal, politics are national; and I think things should stay that way.
I think both have their uses and abuses and, given my somewhat addictive personality; it's probably a good thing that I don't partake in them. I don't care if people drink around me (though I'm glad my friends have outgrown the 'drink 'till you puke' stage). In fact, I find it entertaining. But, if you're drunk, DO NOT drive. That's what I'm for, right? (And if you are my friend John and you call me for a ride, stay where you were when you called! Don't wander around some random neighborhood making me look for you so I can take your drunk self home. Though that was pretty funny. Anyway...) With the exception of medical marijuana, which I am completely in favor of, drugs make me a little more nervous because they seem much more addictive. (I'm not saying they are, this is just my observation.) Keeping in mind that the sum total of my experiences with drugs involve contact highs at U2 and Tom Petty concerts, so take my words with that grain of salt.
No comments:
Post a Comment