Saturday, December 04, 2010

Merry Christmas to Me!


Yesterday, my best friend called my husband to give him some advice about my Christmas present. (Something I encourage her to keep doing for all future birthdays or any other gift-giving occasion.) On this occasion, I was one step ahead of both of them. This had arrived in the mail the day before her phone call. It looks as if I bought myself an early Christmas present! I thought it best to get it before I started all of that holiday baking. 
I've wanted one of these since I was newly engaged and contemplating my registry. Did I put it on there? Of course not. A Kitchen Aid is top-of-the-line and my baking skills were not. I told myself I didn't deserve it and left it off lest any of our friends and family take a look at my registry and laugh at how undeserving I was of such a luxury item. I didn't think much of myself when I was 24, apparently.
A few years later, I bought a cheap mixer from KMart. I guess I was "worthy" of that one. Unfortunately, its motor would wear out midway through the second batch of cookie dough and I spent more time letting it "rest" than I did using it. But I never got rid of it either because, let's face it, who was I fooling about my kitchen skills or any other domestic skills for that matter? And besides, hadn't I just spent a whole $35 dollars on this contraption? I would hate to let that kind of money go to waste. Apparently, I didn't feel much better about myself at 28 even though I was holding down the fort, paying down debts, and otherwise taking care of myself and my two very young babies quite admirably while their Dad was deployed to Bosnia.
Needless to say, I've hit my stride at 38. I've finally realized many things. Not the least of them is that while I may not "deserve" such a machine (or many of the other blessings I enjoy), none of us really "deserve" anything do we? And if I was going to wait around to do nice things for myself until I did "deserve" them, I would be waiting a long time. However, I wanted a good quality mixer and I had kept a count in the last year of each time I would have used one if I owned it. That number justified the purchase and because I work hard both in my home and outside of it and earn my own money, I knew I could purchase one without wrecking the family finances or pulling out a credit card. So I ignored those little "you aren't good enough" voices and ordered one with that part of my paycheck that doesn't pay for theatre classes, the after-school program, gasoline, or the bills Dave and I assigned to me when I started my job. Which means I've been putting a little bit aside each month and watching for a good price. Those things coincided last week and I ordered it before I lost my nerve.
While it would have been a thoughtful gift this Christmas, much like my pearl necklace, I think this was one of those things that meant much more coming from me. Do I "deserve" it? Probably not. But I'm glad I finally got it. And I don't just mean the mixer. :)

7 comments:

Christina said...

I would tell him to get you the pasta attachment, but then you would think you'd have to make your own pasta, and who really has time for that? I just remembered his last couple attempts at Christmas presents and thought you could do with something for you instead of kind of for him. lol. These men of ours!

I only use mine a couple times a year, but I really like it. It was my Christmas present from Sean the year he proposed (mumbled... whatever.)

Melessa Gregg said...

The food grinder or strainer might be a better idea. I LOVE homemade pasta, but I can't imagine when I would have the time to make it in this season of my life. Again, thanks for the help and keep it up!

Didn't he also get you an engagement ring that Christmas? That was quitea haul for that year!

Melessa Gregg said...

Psst! Our anniversary is Jan. 4th! ;)

Christina said...

lol... He got a me a really nice jewelry/music box as well.

Okie Rednecks said...

I am soooo jealous!!! I am saving to get myself one. I am thinking that once I am out of school (one more semester) I will start watching for good prices and will get one. It would make life so much easier!

I am happy for you! Can't wait to hear all the different ways you will use it!
Alisha

Melessa Gregg said...

Alisha-

I watched for months before the price and what I had put aside matched up and it was the best feeling ever! I'm sure it will see a lot of use since I bought it in December.

Melessa Gregg said...

Wendy and Jeff Fugate - And to justify it even more.... I am requesting a homemade loaf of bread that has been kneaded in your new toy. :)Dec 5