Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Few Movie Reviews

We saw some movies over the holidays and since I used to be so diligent about reporting such things, I thought I would post my thoughts before I forget the movies completely:

Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader


This was Natalie's favorite book of the series and she had serious doubts about the movie, but we both loved it. I'm not sure it was necessary to see it in 3D, but it sure was fun. I bawled right along with Lucy about it being the end of one part of her life and the beginning of another. I've been there and sometimes I still really miss Narnia. I'm not sure it was as good as the first one, but I definitely liked it better than Prince Caspian.

Tangled


This is now my second-favorite Disney movie. It ranks right up there with Beauty and the Beast. Really. And if you ever want a good look at what it was like to be raised by my mother, just listen to the dialogue between Rapunzel and hers. Sans the tower and the super-long hair, of course. And even if it hadn't touched certain nerves with me, I still would have really liked it. I'm definitely buying this one on DVD. In fact, I may even have to see it again when it hits the dollar movies and I rarely bother with things like that anymore.

True Grit


I am a John Wayne fan and I remember watching this as a kid. But I have to say, the remake was good too. Of course, I am a sucker for Matt Damon and Jeff Bridges so it's not like it was going to be a tough sell for me. Also, the little girl in it was brilliant. Although I am probably the only person in the theatre who watched the sets and wondered what poor historic house museum got invaded for the boarding house scenes. (Probably none, it's usually the low-budget films that abuse use our facilities.) At any rate, I really liked the movie, even if I'm told that they did mess up the ending.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Great reviews! Now my curiosity is peaked about the Narnia movie. I'll have to go see it.