Remember these? Remember when I used to blog faithfully? I'm hoping that by getting back into regular routines like the Week In Review, I will get better about updating here. (Keeping in mind that I had meetings every night last week and that even though I had some good ideas for posts, I just didn't have the time to write them.)
Reading-
Jurassic Park
It was a 'book club' assignment. (I use that term loosely as it's more of a 'friends who decided to read the same book' than an actual club.) But, I really liked it. I imagine that the movie was a bit of a disappointment to fans of the book and, since I really enjoyed that movie, I'm glad that: a)I saw it first and b) that it had been years since I had seen it. I definitely like the movie version of John Hammond much, much better and I wish that more of Dr. Malcolm's comments had been moved into the movie script because they were some of my favorite reading in the book. Probably the most amusing thing about reading the book is that I would only read the 'scary dinosaur parts' during the day and not before bed lest I scare myself. I still had some pretty vivid dreams in and around the time I was reading the book, though. So it was probably for the best that I did that. There is much more I could say, but I do not like giving more than mild spoilers here and I should probably save it for the 'book club' discussion.
The Hobbit
I love, love, love this book and was really excited to be able to share it with my kids over the last month. They really enjoyed it too. I am a little curious about how the movie is going to go with most of Peter Jackson's casting centering around characters who are not in The Hobbit or just have cameos. But you know we will go see it anyway. Not that it will ever be as beloved by me as the Rankin/Bass cartoon that my dad used to take me to see at the Norman Public Library in the days before VCR's, but I'm sure it will be good. As far as the books go, I am very impressed that I managed to read the final chapters with the kids without crying. During the rougher parts of my mission, I found myself alternating between Dorothy's clicking her heels together to the tune of "there's no place like home" or Bilbo's chanted list of things he loved although 'eggs, bacon, and a good pipe' never made MY list. Still, this book has been special to me since Favorite Uncle Bob sent it to me for Christmas when I was about 11 and it was nice to finally share it with my kids.
Watching
The DVR has 19 Kids and Counting, Glee, Parenthood, and Grey's just waiting for me to have time to watch them...
At the Movies?
Not this week
Extracurricular Activities:
This week's activities included my very first OKC Thunder game, a work-related board meeting, a Primary Presidency meeting/Valiant girls activity, a district-wide Initiation for IORG that brought in two more girls to the assembly, my sister and my grandmother's birthday, parent/teacher conferences, a church potluck (no complaints about that one, I love those!) co-hostessing a baby shower for one of my closest friends, and a show at the Civic Center. Which explains why there was no time to blog. You already know what came of Tuesday's board meeting and I'll spare you the family party details and just say a few things about the bigger activities of the weekend:
OKC Thunder-It was really fun. I had NO IDEA how much the team gives back to the community. And while I liked it, I think I like college games a little bit better and I have no idea why as they aren't nearly as glitzy and exciting. Or maybe, that is EXACTLY why.
Lanie's Shower-In spite of jokes about tacky games, door prizes, and hostess tactics; my friends and I can actually throw a very classy party. I'm SO excited for Lanie and her new baby boy...it won't be long now! (And if I ever get on this blog and lament my lack of supportive family, please remind me that no matter what shenanigans my mother comes up with *and she was in rare form this week* that I will always have Chris, Wendy, Lanie, and Jen and that our lack of a blood ties make NO difference at all. Love you girls!)
Beauty and the Beast at the Civic Center-It was my 6 year-old's turn to go to the show with Mom and we had a lovely time. She was the perfect age to sit through the show without getting too restless and to LOVE the story too. I noticed that it's been tweaked a bit since I saw it in Tulsa in 1999 and even a little bit since Caroline and Elisa were in the junior version at Sooner Theatre the summer before last, but they are good changes and it's still my all-time favorite Disneyfied fairy tale. I did miss the song between Belle and her Dad, though. Oh well...it's still on Pandora, right?
*And no worries, there are two shows coming up before the end of the season that Dave will actually get to see with me. Not that he minded giving his little girl this ticket at all.
That's all I have time for tonight! Here's to a good week for those of you who haven't given up on me ever posting here again!
No comments:
Post a Comment