Saturday, August 20, 2011

What a Year!

About a year ago, I got a message from the new director at the museum where I was about to resume my part-time job after a year's hiatus when Alexis was born. When I saw her number on the caller ID and heard her message to "call the Harn," I knew it meant that budget cutbacks were going to prevent my return. But I was wrong. Instead, she offered me a full-time position as Education Director. At the time, neither of us knew that she would depart the museum within six months leaving me in charge!

I can't believe how fast things changed both at the job and in our life as a family in the last year. This Christmas, we didn't have to go into debt to give our family a nice and not overly extravagant holiday. This summer, we were able to take a couple of small trips and I was even able to take the girls with me to Seattle to visit with their relatives while I enjoyed my annual girlfriend's getaway at the Oregon coast. (Why just the girls? When vacationing with 5 kids, it's all about 'divide and conquer.') And, I was finally able to retire my car for a newer used one. It turns out that having functioning a/c in the car during record summer heat really does help you feel less wiped out at the end of the work day. Who knew?

Even after a year, there are still time-management and scheduling challenges; not to mention the organizational challenges here at the house which I know I bemoan frequently in my infrequent posts here. But we keep working on it, and that's all we can do. But more than the changes in our circumstances, I am also enjoying the changes in the way I live my life. At work, I am the boss and I have to take charge. I can't worry about whether or not each and every one of my decisions is going to please each and every person who takes a tour, books a field trip, or rents the facility. Obviously, we WANT to please these people, but I've had to learn to let go and not freak out at every raised eyebrow, not to back pedal each time someone says "Well, when (insert former Director's name) worked here...," or to flinch at every mother-of-the-bride tantrum. (FYI: I'm not sure why they always call them "Bridezilla's" their moms can be WAY worse.) I've had to sit in front of the financial officers of several foundations and explain to them by myself why we are asking them for money. In short, I've finally proved to myself that the potential so many others have seen in me over the years is really there. I'm not perfect, I make mistakes daily as a mom, as a wife, as a family member, and definitely as an Executive Director. But now I know that those mistakes don't make me less worthy to serve in any of those capacities.

And at almost 40 years-old, that's good to know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

::thumbs up::

alisonwonderland said...

Good lesson for us all to learn!