Saturday, April 21, 2012

Crazy Days and the Good That Comes From Them

Yesterday, I posted all the things I did last week that made me feel as if I was running back and forth from here to OKC and back like a chicken with my head cut off. I could re-post, but instead I will summarize that a week that includes summer theatre auditions for three kids, final dress rehearsals for the spring show at Sooner Theatre, pick-up and drop-offs of the $800 worth of Okarche cinnamon rolls that my Rainbow girls sold (and yes-that did mean a drive to Okarche and back*), while also taking delivery of the two model milk cows that required the rental of a forklift to get off of the shipping truck, AND training volunteers and making final preparations for this year's Land Run which is coming up next week was probably a bit more on my plate than I needed. But I did it, ALL of it! And I even did most of it well.

Aside from the enjoyment that I always get from seeing my kids perform (and listening through the door when they do well at auditions), I think the best part of my week was Tuesday night when I spent almost three hours delivering cinnamon rolls with Natalie and her good friend Lydia (who is an honorary Gregg much in the way that I was an honorary Thwaits, Horowitz, or Goodman). They got me talking about my screenplays. They got me talking about them in a way that made me feel like they were good and I should work on them more. And even though I protested that I hadn't done enough with either of them to write them in full, the more I described the characters, plot, and details; the more I realized that all I was really missing was time to write them.

My friend Toni will soon host her first Camp Makearoo and I truly wish I could be a part of that. It sounds like exactly what I need to get started. Unfortunately, unless $1,000 falls from the sky this week, I just don't have the funds to make it this time. Nor will Dave and I be making the 'it's our birthday' trip to New York we were hoping for next weekend. But, now that I know I have a story, I will be taking a weekend to hole up in a nice local hotel to see how much of what's in my head is actually good enough for a real live screenplay.

Who knew that one of the crazier weeks of my life could lead to such inspiration? Thanks Natalie! Thanks Lydia! When I get this on paper, you will be the first ones to read it. (Unless Aunt Chris sees it first.)

*Of course, any trip to Okarche means Eischen's, so it was all good in the end.

No comments: