Sunday, February 19, 2006

Week In Review

Before I get started, I just have to tell you all how much fun it has been to be completely snowed in all weekend. All the meetings, kid birthday parties, and other commitments I had as of Friday were called off by 9 a.m. on Saturday morning. It's been wonderful. I hear it should start thawing tomorrow or Tuesday. What a bummer.

Reading

Natalie's Scholastic Book Order came in this week and she hasn't felt like sharing any of it with me, so besides the multiple daily readings of "Baby's Boat" that Elisa insists on and some princess and dinosaur books that Tristan and Caroline love; we haven't done much with children's books this week. But, I've more than made up for it.

Memoirs of a Geisha-I have to admit I was a little disappointed in the way Sayuri ultimately got what she wanted, but glad the ending was more honest than 'happily ever after.' It was still an excellent book and, on Lanie's recommendation, I will leave the movie in the Netflix queue.

In Her Shoes & Good In Bed-Both were wonderful. I was in tears at the end of In Her Shoes and while it's more emotionally satisfying, I liked Good In Bed just a little bit better. I think maybe I just liked Cannie as a character a more than I did Maggie and Rose. In Her Shoes is another one I'm a little worried about seeing as a movie. What I fear most is that there won't be a Mrs. Lefkowitz in the movie-and I loved her in the book, even if she was a smaller character. I'm also not a Cameron Diaz fan. But, I'll leave that movie in queue too. It may be worth the couple of hours I will spend on it.

Little Earthquakes-I just started this one, and I'm not into it enough to give a good evaluation yet.

Watching-

Gilmore Girls-I have to say I was a little disappointed this week, which is pretty much par for the course this season. Wah!

No new Veronica Mars until March 15th-Wah again!

I've also gotten slightly sucked back into All My Children-I guess since the bomb issues were resolved on Grey's Anatomy, I needed to see something else blow up this week. So far it's good stuff and I only had to watch it a couple of days before I figured out who all the new characters are.

Netflix-

Sky High-I got this for the kids, but I really liked it myself. There was lots of 80's music in it-that must be it. Seriously though, it's cute and worth watching. I think we're actually going to have to buy it.

My Little Pony Princess Promenade-Obviously not my favorite, but I had to buy a copy at Wal-Mart before Caroline would let me send the Netflix copy back. Lucky me-another pony movie in our collection.

The Perfect Man-I'm not an Ashton Kutcher fan, but I liked A Lot Like Love. I'm not a Hilary Duff fan, and I thought maybe a cast including Heather Locklear and Chris Noth would help me like this movie. Not so much, as it turns out. I hated Heather Locklear's character, there was minimal interaction between her and Chris Noth, and the obligatory precocious kid was just annoying in this. Not a good call on my part.

On the Town-

As mentioned, Natalie and I saw Peter Pan on Friday. I joked and mocked about Cathy Rigby playing 'the boy who never grew up' all last week, then I saw the show. She was amazing! I should look so good at any age in green tights while being propelled through the air on a harness at any age, much less in my mid-50's. I'm sorry for all the jokes I made at her expense and I'm glad we saw her on her second "Farewell" tour here. It was a great show. Natalie was entranced, and I only regret not bringing Caroline. It was worth the slow and icy drive home. The restaurant we ate at before the show is worth mentioning too: Cafe Laredo. It's at the same mall where I once was lucky enough to meet up with thatgirl and family for lunch. (If you ever make it back-we definitely have to eat at CL instead.)

6 comments:

Christy said...

It's been a while since I couldn't wait for the weekend to be over so AMC would be back on again! Janet from another Planet is as evil as ever...they brought back the REAL Dixie...Erica has a son...people are dying (maybe)...good stuff! They switched out Lily for another actress and that kind of annoys me. I hope it's not forever. The previous actress just got nominated for an Emmy. Maybe she's moved on already.

Melessa Gregg said...

It's a temporary switch because the regular actress is sick. I forget which day she will be back, but it should be soon. I feel sorry for nuLily, that's not an easy part to play and especially not as a last-minute substitution in such a complicated storyline. I'm glad it's not permanent, though. I'll take Kate Collins back on AMC in ANY capacity, but especially as evil Janet. It's too much fun!

Anonymous said...

My message board saus that the regular Lily (Leven Rambin) will be back March 1. The new girl has done a great job so far playing Lily.

I'm worried about Trevor. I love Janet but she is from another galaxy right now, not just a planet. I think we're supposed to find out soon what happened to him.

el-e-e said...

I'll be interested in what you have to say about "Little Earthquakes." I just read it.

Anonymous said...

I really liked Sky High, too. And didn't the girl who ended up being the baddie look like our lovely friend Texas Jen? I couldn't stop thinking that as I was watching it.

Melessa Gregg said...

Libby-Thank you! I knew she reminded me of someone, and that's exactly who it is! (Don't worry Jen, she is a baddie in the movie, but a gorgeous one.)

Chantal & el-e-e-Ayinde has just had her baby, so obviously I have a bit more reading ahead of me. I liked Goodnight Nobody a lot, but not as much as I loved the other two. I still recommend it highly, though. It's not like it's bad, it just didn't bring me to tears at the end the way the other two did.