Reading-
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer-Just as I did with the Harry Potter books, I resisted these when I saw how much hype they generated. Until I learned the author was LDS, and many of my favorite mommy-bloggers started recommending them too. When I spotted this one, the first in the series, at Wal-Mart for $8, I picked it up. Within 48 hours I had finished the book and am eager for the next one. (Also, I'm in love with Edward Cullen-but even though he's technically 17, I think he still passes the age requirement.) Unfortunately, New Moon (Book 2) is still only available in hardback and is the only one of the three released that I can't find at a discount price. (Book #3 was just released and is very competitively priced.) I can't bring myself to pay more for book 2 than the newest release, so I am waiting rather impatiently to spot it at a used book store (I've checked two in Norman and don't know where those stores are in OKC).
Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card-I did find this one used and bought it based in Nancy's recommendation. I'm about midway through it. I'm not sure I'm going to let Natalie read this one though. She enjoyed Ender's Game, but this one just seems a little too grown-up for her right now. I'll decide for sure when I finish it, but at the moment I'm thinking she should wait a few years.
Watching-
Ballykissangel Season 1-This was recommended to me over a year ago and I discovered that I could watch it for free online with my Netflix account. It was really cute and clever. It's originally from the BBC and is the story of a young English priest's experiences in a small parish in Ireland. I was particularly fond of the episode called "Live in my Heart, Stay There Rent Free," but overall I quite enjoyed all of season one. I plan to start Season 2 next week.
In My Netflix Queue-
Hollywoodland-Could my crush on Adrian Brody get any more intense? Apparently, it can. And Ben Affleck can act when he wants to, who knew? Diane Lane was, of course, luminous-but we expected that.
The Wedding Singer-Watching, yet again, the movie that made me forgive Adam Sandler for "cajun man" and Drew Barrymore for pretty much everything she did in her early 20's. This is one of my favorites.
Extracurricular Activities-
Disney Princesses On Ice/State Fair-A good time was had by all! I took the little kids to see the princesses while the big kids rode rides that scare me under the supervision of their Dad. That way, everybody had fun.
Skateland night-Remind me to tell a funny story about that later this week...It made a lot of money for PTA and, in the end, we all had fun. I didn't get to skate this time, but it was all good.
Hootenanny at The Harn-As I mentioned, Anne, Julie, and Mom joined me there and got pretty good tour of everything. I hope they had fun being there, because I sure enjoyed having them. There's only one more Hootenanny this year and it's next Thursday-be there to hear Mama Sweet!
Ft. Smith Road Trip-SUCH A GOOD IDEA! There wasn't a thing about this that didn't go perfectly. I enjoyed the quiet car going to and from there, had some good Southern food (but not so much that I'm regretting it), did some shopping at stores about 10 years too young for me, had a nice visit with Anne, Mom, and Julie, celebrated Julie's birthday with some bowling, AND I got to see my friend Jennifer for the first time since 1992! She lives closer to Ft. Smith than to Norman, so she and her husband joined us for Julie's birthday dinner and bowling. She looks not one day older than she did when she left here. Her husband was very nice, made good conversation, and most importantly; still happily married to Jen after 15 years. Needless to say, I liked him a lot. (Now Chris, Lanie, and Wendy need to meet him-HINT! HINT!)
3 comments:
LOL at the looking the same! Tell that to my gray hairs! We had a great time too and Delton enjoyed meeting the Melessa he's heard so much about over the years! And even though he "wasn't" keeping track of the exact number of Rainbow stories told, he did enjoy the what he heard. Don't worry, we are going to make it up there asap!! Let you know when....
OMG! I used to watch Ballykissangel on BBCAmerica. One of my favorite shows of all time!
Loved all 3 books in the Twilight series.... can't wait for the next...
*sigh*
Post a Comment