Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Walk in My Shoes

I was awakened at Midnight to the sounds of my son puking. By 6 a.m. my husband was doing likewise and one of my daughters was threatening it (a threat she followed through with a few hours later). When my husband passed out at the front door and seemed to have a seizure on the floor in front of me; I realized none of us were going anywhere today. I spent the day making pallets, handing out trash cans and large mixing bowls, getting drinks of water, seeing who could hold down what, doing laundry, and spraying Lysol on the toilet seat, door knobs, and at one point on my foot after stepping into an inexplicable wet spot on my living room carpet.

This blog doesn't often speak intelligently about politics, the OKC metro night life, or other witty and enjoyable "adult" topics. Sometimes it does...but more often than not, it is my outlet for dealing with days like the one described in the previous paragraph. And oddly enough, people still read it, enjoy it, and have nominated it for Okie Blogger awards each year of the last three. I've never won one, but I've had the pleasure of finding new blogs and, often, new friends among my fellow nominees. I'm not sure that anything I write here is particularly deserving of any accolades or recognition, but I definitely enjoy being part of the process. And I hope these gentlemen someday learn to do likewise, because this post makes them sound a lot more like a bunch of sore losers than the funny, witty guys whose posts we love to read to each other every morning at work. I expect and welcome their daily snark, but I feel that this post crossed a line and that they owe Georgie an apology. (Who was, by the way, a NEW nominee and a first time winner this year.)

Maybe we 35-40 year-old mommy bloggers aren't the most clever or the most interesting people to read, but we have hard lives sometimes, and funny lives sometimes, and inspiring lives sometimes too (sometimes we even manage all three of those at once); and we have every right to blog about them if we so choose. And other bloggers have every right to vote for us if THEY so choose. And, surprisingly enough, they do! And that's all I care to say on the subject.

Here's hoping for a puke-free day tomorrow...

*This just in...all comments left without actual contact information will be deleted. Hey! I'm a mom, I've got nothing better to do with my time than sit around eating chocolate and watching for trolls*

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

What a fabulous day! I hope tomorrow is SOO much better than today.

And what sore losers! I hope they don't even get nominated next year.

Anonymous said...

Reading that post I had much the same reaction as you did. Well put. I've also found some really great blogs as a result of being nominated, even if I didn't win, and I'm cool with that. Georgie was the one who even told me I was nominated, and I got to meet her at the little meet up dinner a few weeks ago as a result of visiting some of the other nominees. She's a sweetheart, and even if she wasn't, the post seemed pretty over the top.

I hope everyone is feeling better. I cannot imagine how not fun your day must have been. Just yuck.

Melessa Gregg said...

Tiffany-I was surprised when they didn't win anything last year, I may have even voted for them-can't remember. This year, I felt bad when I saw the list, but much better when I saw their reaction. And yes, I doubt seriously they will get a nod next year after this.

Maggie-I usually love The Lost Ogle, reading it is a morning staple at work or WAS anyway. But that post was uncalled for, as was closing the Comments once people started calling them on it. I wonder if they've had any email on the subject.

Melessa Gregg said...

Oh, and Georgie is the one who told me I was nominated too!

Unknown said...

Awwww Melessa I sure hope everyone is better today....being sick is no fun...

I think what you said in regards to the TLO hits the nail on the head...I understand they feel jipped...beat out by a 38yr old on the cusp of menopause mother of 3...who cant spell...


I didnt expect to win and had I not I would have said congrats to the winners and moved on...I dont believe in bashin in any form even if you try and wrap it up in a pretty package with a bow and call it satire...

The red dirt kings are just as upset...I have never seen anything like this in my life...red dirt diva did tell me when she won last year something very similar happened...

this too shall pass....

Thank you for your kind words...they lifted my head a lil more
♥

Jennifer said...

Hope you don't get sick, but if you do, hope everyone's better before hand!

Melessa Gregg said...

Georgie-Thank you! The kids are much better and went to school today. DH is making his own delicate recovery-I find it amusing.

And you are right, this too shall pass.

Jen-Well, everyone else seems better so if it's my turn, at least I will have caretakers.

Christina said...

Yikes.. That makes me feel better about the dog throwing up in my car... It was just once. (this time)