- Aldi's is a huge saving on groceries, but you do have to pick and choose what you buy there. So far, I've been happy with the meat, the produce is hit or miss but I like most of it, I like the 4-packs of toilet paper, but won't be buying another economy-sized package soon (just ask my friend Christy about the importance of good t.p.), the canned goods and crackers/chips are all right too; but the kids don't like their brand of 100% juice. Still, it's worth the drive to me to do most of my shopping. The one closest to my house is also close to a Wal-Mart, so I just hit both on shopping day.
- A good friend whose kids have a much wider age range than mine told me that while it seems like being home with the kids as babies is more important, that's really more about making sure the little ones don't hurt themselves. According to her, the teen years are really when they need more supervision, even though they are deemed "old enough" to be by themselves by society at that point. My oldest is only 11, but after almost two months, I think she has a point about that. (Which doesn't mean my kids will never babysit or be left home alone as they get older. But it is good food for thought.)
- Whether you work or not, there still isn't enough time to do everything you want. On the flip side, there is a little more time for doing money-saving things like hanging laundry, fixing more meals from scratch, or shopping at two stores on grocery day. (Perhaps some of you can do that AND work, but I couldn't ever juggle it all.)
- Hanging laundry is not so bad.
- Neither is homemade bread (according to me and the kids-DH is still not a big fan.)
- Programming the thermostat for a little warmer and playing outside in swimsuits when it gets hot is also effective.
- And even more effective when Dad doesn't lower it behind my back and think I won't notice. (I'm not sure what his allergy to saving money is, but it's annoying.)
- I have a lot more time on my hands to notice who is getting away with what behind my back. It's been a rough summer for BOTH my boys.
- Tristan's issues with school are a lot more easily solved than his teacher of last year led me to believe. Basically, he shuts down when given a task he can't do perfectly. And, once bored because he doesn't know how to do it and has no other desk work, he gets into mischief. Annoying and difficult? Yes. Manageable now that I know what the problem is? Also yes. Having said that, he really wants to give their new school a try, so I'm going to let him and see what happens.
- My girls LOVE to perform and Natalie is really good at it. I know everyone likes to see their kid on stage, but seriously...WOW!
- Acting classes have been good for Tristan too. His teachers are always GLAD to see him and he comes home talking happily about everything he did while he was there. It's such a nice change from last school year's nasty notes every day.
- Being pregnant in July is every bit as bad as people said it would be, but we are almost done-thank goodness.
- My kids are a joy to be with and a lot more capable than I realized. It's been a good summer and I'm sorry to see it end.
Thursday, July 23, 2009
Thursday 13: What I Learned This Summer
Since I hope to soon be so busy with the new baby that I completely lose sight of this blog for a little while, I thought I would post my usual summer re-cap a little bit early. (Hey, they're already posting school supply lists and having sales so my timing isn't THAT soon.) As has been blogged to death here, I left my job at the beginning of June and re-entered the world of the SAHM. It wasn't an unfamiliar one, I did it for 9 years before completing my Masters. Nor, did I think, was the adjustment going to be that big since I only worked part-time. Hmm...was I right about that? We'll see...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
You sound very busy, but it sounds like fun busy. Happy TT.
Lovely lessons! I wish I had space to hang laundry outside ;--)
Hugs and blessings,
I can agree with the point about teens needing supervision at home. I've been able to trust mine thus far, but I dread when they get cars and can start coming and going at will! I may just have to stay home and supervise again at that time!
Here via the T13 :)
I have a sudden urge to check the school supplies lists, though we still have well over a month.
Congrats on your soon to be new addition!
Every time I see in Google Reader that you've got a new post up, I wonder if it's the ANNOUNCEMENT post! I'm so excited about your impending addition! :)
Also, a friend told me the same thing about being at home with younger vs. older kids. Interesting.
Happy weekend, M!
very very OUTSTANDING :)
Expect and Accept
I love this post, M. Lots of humor (as always), lots of honesty, and lots of joy coming through. Thanks!
Post a Comment