Friday, July 24, 2009

Why No, I Haven't Had That Baby Yet, Thanks For Asking (and asking...)

Anyone who has been in their final weeks (or in my case, week) of pregnancy knows what I'm talking about with the above title. After weeks of hearing from no one, everyone feels the need to start checking in "to see if you've had that baby." While I am not at all happy about the level of disorientation and dementia in which Aunt M now lives on a daily basis, I have to admit that the lack of phone calls from her this time around has been nice. (She isn't even aware I'm pregnant most of the time. Sad.) My grandparents, however, have been regulars since two Sundays ago. At one point, I found it cute. Now that I'm so huge I cannot bend over without a second person in the house to help me back up, I'm a little tired of dwelling on the fact that "No, no baby yet" and "No, Dr. P has no idea when it will be this time." Dr. P is usually quite fond of scheduling inductions for me and, because my body responds to this more favorably than waiting on actual labor, I am happy to let him. However, according to Dr. P, my cervix is being particularly uncooperative this time and I am "uninducible at this time." (Not sure I spelled that right and don't care to go look it up.) This has been his pronouncement at every appointment I've had this month including yesterday's. So...we wait. And please know that if anything changes, I'll call YOU.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ooooo I remember those last few weeks that turned into days...of not being able to bend-it was easier to have someone roll you...
Hope things happen soon for you

Carmel said...

I got to be quite a smart ass during the last days of my first pregnancy. My son was a full three weeks "late" to arrive. Here I am looking like a water balloon about to explode -- and I was a tiny thing back thing except for the belly -- and people would COME UP TO ME and ask if I had the baby yet.

"Why, yes, yes, thanks for asking." I would say to their shocked expressions and then walk off before they recovered.

Hang in there kiddo.

Anne said...

I dreamed a few nights ago that you had the baby and named her Gloria. You, Kelby, and Jon all picked me up to go see her for the first time (I don't know where she was, but you were cruising around, sitting between the brothers in the front seat of some boat of a car, as if we were all 19). I was thinking about how casual you seemed about leaving your new baby with someone, but that after having four others there was probably no reason not to relax about everything.

So, I will NOT ask if you've had the baby yet. I will, however, ask if you've picked a name. I'm pretty sure it's not Gloria.

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

men always asked me that. if i'd start talking dialated cervix, they'd turn pale and walk away.

the worst - having people touch my tummy.