Reading-
The Accidental Housewife by Julie Edelman-
As much as I've been enjoying all the homemaking books I've been reading this summer, this one just hasn't managed to grab my attention.
Taming Your Spirited Child by Dr. Michael H. Popkin-
Most of you have met my son, this book appears as if it will be helpful. As with all things where he is concerned, time will tell...but the book has given me some new coping strategies
Listening-
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling-
I finally figured out while, despite evidence to the contrary, I always wanted to believe in Severus Snape. And it all comes from the little "your moment has come!" speech that he gives to Gilderoy Lockhart in the staff lounge just after Ginny Weasley has been taken into the chamber. I just never could believe that anyone with such a delightfully wicked sense of humor could be all bad. Apparently, neither did J.K. Rowling. We finished this one early in the week while cleaning the girls' room. Azkaban in on my 'hold' list at the library now, but I'm third in line so we haven't started it yet.
Watching-
I've given up on TV this summer. I loathe Jon Gosslin's actions WAY too much right now to consider tuning into Jon and Kate Plus 8 when it comes back on (Dude, you look like some 30-something with hair plugs chasing much younger women just because you can. Oh wait...that's exactly what you are. Pitiful.) and the episode of 18 Kids and Counting that I tried to DVR last week didn't come through because of the weather.
At the Movies-
Ice Age 3-
I am not a fan of Ray Romano's whiny voice (but did manage to watch Everybody Loves Raymond because the rest of that ensemble cast ROCKED), so I wasn't excited about this at all. But, we went to the drive-in to see Harry Potter and had to sit through this first. I think "sit through this" pretty much describes my experience with it, but Dave and the kids liked it and it wasn't bad-if you don't mind Ray like I do. I do enjoy me some Denis Leary though, so let's just say there could have been worse "first movies" at the drive-in. Like the time I had to sit through the live-action Garfield movie to see Prisoner of Azkaban. That time, Bill Murray pulled me through. But...I'm digressing when I should be getting to the main review:
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince-
I've had very mixed reactions from friends about this one. They either love it or hate it. Obviously, I'm not going to do much spoiling here, but I will in the Comment section, so only click there if you've seen the movie or don't mind a few details. I will say here that I really enjoyed it, that you can never make 2 hour movie from a huge book, and that I thought it was a good effort. Also...I LOVE Alan Rickman. Though what is it with his movies that always causes one of the main characters to pull out a knife and cut their own hand with it?! I DO NOT LIKE THAT. (As anyone who saw Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves with me in the '90's can well attest.) Anyway, Natalie and I loved the movie though I was surprised at how little it made me cry. Even Tristan liked it and paid full attention. Does this mean an interest in the books is forthcoming? I can only hope...
Extracurricular Activities-
Youth Conference-
As part of the Stake Young Women's Presidency, summers are always full of Girls' Camp and Youth Conference. Because of the coming baby, my ability to participate in these activities has been limited, but I love being at them because I am so involved in planning them. While I hope this baby comes soon, I have to admit that I spent most of last night at the dance and later the testimony meeting just feeling happy that I made it to see both happen. If you ever forget why you are grateful to hold a stake calling with the youth, especially one that takes a lot of your time and energy; I suggest you go to a youth testimony meeting. That always helps me to remember, anyway. (And watching several of them learn to do the hula properly was pretty fun too-the dance was luau-themed and one of the youth leaders in our stake is from one of the Polynesian islands. She had her daughters dance, then she made the youth and some of the leaders do likewise. The kids loved it-and so did I, probably because I didn't have to do it.) It was fairly sentimental for me. The 17 and 18 year-olds enjoying their last conference were literally babies when I was baptized (and I remember most of them as such) and now some of the ones born during and just after my mission are old enough to be there too (Youth Conference is for 14-18). So, whether I feel it or not, it's official: I'm old. But as long as I don't FEEL old, I think it's OK.
Hopefully next week's 'review' will be full of nothing but new baby talk. But, if not, there's always next week for that too. Thanks for reading.
7 comments:
OK, here's my real 2 cents on Harry Potter. I wish I could have seen Dumbledore's gentle dressing-down of Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon, I'm not sure why we had to burn down The Burrow (though the scenes in which it happened were incredible), I think Alan Rickman's portrayal of Snape (while beloved to me) divulges that, despite what we see, he is still on the right side of things. I like that they sped up Ron/Hermione and slowed down Harry/Ginny because I think it will bring some heart to the intensity of the two-part movie #7. I also liked that they seemed to really enhance Dumbledore's last scenes saving Harry from the inferi in the cave (Natalie thought it was a bit less-dramatic in the book, but we could be wrong) just to make sure there was NO DOUBT in anyone's mind what an amazing wizard he was. And I'm still confused as to why the movie-writers so clearly want us to feel bad for Draco. He never really comes through for Harry, not even in the end. I can understand others' disappointment in it, but since I always expect the movie to be something different, I have to admit that I loved it.
It's almost over, but I love So You Think You Can Dance! You should check it out.
Can't wait to see that baby should she decide to make an appearance--for your sake!
Totally agree with you about Jon & Kate plus 8. I feel so sorry for her. I mean she's not perfect either, but noone deserves that regardless of how much seem to "bxxxx". I would probably be a little high strung too if I had 8 kids:)
Tiffany-I've heard a lot of good about SYTYCD, I think it's only because it is almost over that I haven't bothered with it. Maybe I should anyway.
Bitter Sweet Moments-I know. Kate certainly isn't an easy person, but I think Jon's actions are a lot slimier at this point. She doesn't deserve this. No woman does.
I admit i havent watched much tv this summer either...however Hells Kitchen has returned and that is a must see for me...lol...Gosh I need to get a life!
yes heres to hoping you will be all baby talk for next weeks week in review
I, too, love Alan Rickman. I'm glad that Snape finally got a somewhat decent haircut. Actually, I agree with almost all of your opinions (a whole HP movie with no Petunia and Vernon? Surely not!). I'm disappointed about the parts of the story that were left out of the movie, and while I fully understand why, it doesn't make me wish any less strongly that this book had also been adapted in two parts. I have a very long attention span - I would rather take more time and include more of the book. Of course, I'm not really the target audience for this movie (being a childless adult who does not buy DVDs or movie merchandise of any kind), and 8-year-olds are probably not as patient as I am.
You went to the drive-in? I didn't know any of those existed anymore. How wonderful! I grew up in the 50's when we went to the drive-in all the time. That really brings back memories. I also ADORE Alan Rickman. He was wonderful in HBP although still not enough screen time. After all, he is the HBP. I enjoyed HBP, but did not feel it was the best of the series so far. My favorite is still Prisoner of Azkaban.
Post a Comment