Monday, October 19, 2009

Because I Should Write Something I Can Leave Up for More than 10 Minutes

I actually liked what I wrote yesterday, at least the final draft of it. However, I have a little self-made rule that when I edit something more than 3-4 times, it should probably just get deleted on principle. So that's what I did. I know my friends with Google Reader still saw it (I felt a little sorry for Google Reader's feed actually-I gave it lots of updating to do with all my editing. I really should just become better at proofreading and I think I will have a lot more opportunities to do that in the near future. As a good friend pointed out yesterday, less church calling time=more writing time. (I do still have a church calling, but it's a smaller one. It's teaching, of course, but just once a month.) I need this or something like it because too much downtime gives me ADD-ridden brain too much time to think its way into mischief. Besides, I'm almost 40. If I ever want to see my name in print, it feels like 'now or never' time.

I'm sitting here on this bright and lovely day feeling sleepy even though my baby has finally decided that sleeping through the night is an OK thing to do. According to her, it is only OK once you have screamed to keep yourself awake for about half an hour before bed, but that sure beats the 6 hours that her oldest sister thought were necessary before falling asleep; so I can live with that. Right now, both she and her older sister are snoozing here in the living room in front of me. (Big sister has a little cold. She's probably recovered enough to be at school, but I wanted her with me anyway.) Because the dishes are done and the laundry is folded, I'm ignoring smaller to-do list items, the phone, and the all-mighty call of Hotmail/Facebook and just enjoying the sunlit windows and the view of my napping babies. I'm not so tired as to snooze with them, not so awake as to jump up and be productive. Breathe in...breathe out...Life is good.

1 comment:

rachel... said...

You know, I have the opposite problem. I blog so rarely because I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I end up devoting HOURS (that I don't have to spare) to a single blog post. I'd like to be able to just type out what's on my mind without worrying about proofreading and editing so much. I look forward to reading more of your blog!