Saturday, December 05, 2009

At the Homestead Today

  • I'm finally to the point in my cold/crud/whatever that I can breathe *almost* clearly. Dave thought a nasal spray might eliminate the *almost* so we shopped around until we found one that was safe for nursing moms and brought it home yesterday. This morning when I opened it, I realized that I've never in my life shot anything up my nose on purpose. (Sorry to those of you who were really hoping to read about my unfortunate drug habit so you could report back yet more proof that I'm "an inappropriate person" to set an example for the stake's Young Women. So far all you seem to have on me is that I think the number "69" is funny. And I still do. Not that I ever shared this bit of humor with any of the the Young Women. But I Digress...) So, I stood there looking at the bottle of nasal spray feeling clueless until my kids who have all had the nasal version of the flu shot the past two years all came over and started coaching me on the best way to do it. If you haven't ever found yourself surrounded by four kids cheering you on and giving you advice on how to properly shoot something up your nose, you are missing out on a very funny experience. (Yes, I survived it and yes, it helped.)
  • I have reached that point in my post-partum journey that all that lovely, thick pregnancy hair has started to fall out. It's favorite place to do this is in the shower. And when it does, there is always a clump of hair that runs with the water down the back of my leg. Just so you know, that feels pretty similar to what it feels like to find a wolf spider on your leg in the shower. I'm not a big fan of either. But I do take really fast showers now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried a nasal wash/rinse, like NeilMed? Warning, for those of us who are not or have never been 8 year old boys, it is GROSS! The water goes up one nostril... and out the other, or your throat, ick!

But... you don't ingest it, it's non-toxic (saline and water), can't mess with the nursing, has been touted by alternative practitioners for years and is now being recommended more and more by mainstream doctors. Cleans all that yucky stuff out of your sinuses, and that feels so good you will probably -- not kidding! -- WANT to do it, a couple times a day when you're sick.

Hands down best thing I ever did for my sinus infections/allergies/asthma.

NeilMed Sinus Rinse is probably the easiest to find, Walgreen's, CVS, Costco... looks like a giant empty nose spray, with little packets of saline mix.

I don't make, sell, or market the stuff, I promise. ; )

Feel better!

clink

Tiffany said...

Our ENT has had my boys doing the nosewashes described above for years. It is especially effective if you do nose spray medicines (they use Nasonex for allergies) right after a nosewash. It was awful the first time I did it, but the relief is AMAZING. I now do it willingly when I'm congested.

Anne said...

I second that recommendation - I've been using a Neti pot for a couple of years and it has really reduced the sinus infections. Wolfgang finds it totally disturbing, but it helps.