Before I get started, can you believe this month is halfway finished?! Me either.
Day 11: Something People Seem to Compliment You the Most on
My writing, my sense of humor, and my teaching skills. I also get tons of compliments on how well "such a BIG family of children" behaves in public. I'm not sure I should get all the credit for that last one, but considering all the time I spent gestating and birthing them; I'll take it anyway.
Day 12: Something You Never Get Compliments On
My organizational skills and my handwriting-and that's with GOOD reason. ;)
Day 13: A Band or Artist that Got You Through Some Tough Days
I'm supposed to write a letter here, but I use music to cope and have for quite some time. Writing a letter to each artist would take longer than I have to spend blogging tonight, so I am going to cheat and make a list instead. In no particular order, here are the artists that have helped me get through the bad times (and the good): Billy Joel, U2, Meatloaf, Queen, Michael W. Smith, Michael McLean (no one is more embarrassed than me to own up to that one), Hilary Weeks, Amy Grant, Jann Arden, and Tori Amos.
Day 14: A Hero That Has Let You Down (write a letter)
Dear Amy Grant,
Once upon a time, I wanted your life. It was when you released your Christmas album in the early 90's. You were such a good Christian, had such a beautiful family, and you were such a knock-out yourself. I had admired you since middle school. Just when I didn't think I could admire you more, I heard you were getting divorced and, soon thereafter, marrying Vince Gill. I was horrified and scandalized and I called myself "disillusioned."
I am writing this not to bring you to task, but to apologize for being such a young, judgmental little twit. Your personal life was NEVER any of my business and who was I to ever think I knew anything about the challenges of any marriage, much less one involving celebrity AND several children. I've been married and raising a family for many years myself and, while I'll never be famous, I get that it's SO hard. And that's on a good day.
I'm glad you have found some peace and joy in your life. I understand now in ways that I couldn't have back then why the song "Better than a Hallelujah" comes from a much stronger and better place than the ones you used to sing about that first marriage back when you were younger too. And again, I apologize for ever thinking less of you for being just as human as the rest of us. I hope you can forgive one of your biggest fans.
Day 15: Something You Can't Live Without, Because You've Tried Living Without It:
My Masonic family. It's good to be home again.
No comments:
Post a Comment