We have conversations like this:
Natalie: Mom? Isn't so weird how sometimes 5 minutes ago seems like it was a long time ago and other times something that happened years ago seems like 5 minutes ago?
Followed by things like this:
Natalie: Mom, I have a VERY important question for you.
Me: (Stealing myself for something serious) Ask me.
Natalie: How long do I have to wait before I put on the second coat of nail polish?
That is if and when she wants to wear it. Which isn't always. Sometimes she wants to be a princess, sometimes she loves her blue jeans. Sometimes she begs me to fix her hair, other days she says "MY HAIR! MY BUSINESS!" and shoves it into a pony tail.
Some days I am her best friend, some days I am her biggest embarrassment. Sometimes I am both in the same 5 minute stretch.
I would bemoan the passing years here, but given the alternative, I'll take my babies growing up any day. Besides, while some moms love the baby years, the toddler/pre-school years, or the grade school ones, I'm a little different. It's not that I haven't I've loved parts of all of those, but as each of my kids get older; the more I feel like I'm on familiar ground (albeit shaky, moody, and uncertain ground).
I'm not saying the road ahead doesn't scare me, but at least I'm familiar with the journey.
Happy Birthday Natalie!
5 comments:
I love my boys as teens. And I loved them as little kids. the baby time is so short. I love having them be real people.
I enjoy the real people aspect as well. Though I can't believe how fast this happened. For either one of us!
Wow! I'm not the only one! Glad to hear it. Looking forward to the years that come and glad the days-gone-by are gone.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NATALIE! On a similar note, Rachel has taken to writing in a diary, mainly after she's been scolded. I would hate to take a peek...I'm sure I'm the devil in there!
Love,
Jen
Julie-In theory, I love babies. But they don't laugh at my jokes the way my older kids do.
Jen-I LOVE that Rachel has a diary and is writing. Even if it isn't always flattering words about her mom. Hey, if they loved us every minute of every day we would probably be doing it wrong. ;)
Post a Comment